SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rusty105_gw

Hello, an introduction

rusty105
16 years ago

Hello Everyone. I would just like to introduce my self.... My name is John, mid 30's and My wife and I are looking to move into our first house in the next year or 2. I have an engineering degree, work for a large utility company, but I am looking to move away from the 'Big City Life'. Housing prices in the Metro NY area are out of control. A modest 2000sf ranch is 500K+. So we are looking to move a little further away, perhaps North East PA. I would be able to transfer offices and keep a reasonable commute.

I stumbled onto this site looking for sample contracts between GCs and owners for building a custom house, and I have to say I am now a little leery about having a GC build our house (If we do decide to build instead of buying existing). Either way is full of traps and horror stories. Buying new existing homes, and having issues come up a year or 2 later. having a GC build a home for you, and having all sorts of shoddy work, cheating, etc.... Now I know the horror stories get the most publicity, but where there is smoke, there is fire.... And I see a lot of smoke. :( I know from experience that most houses in my parents neighborhood have some sort of issue that could have been easily resolved at time of construction, instead of having to deal with it 30 years later. And from dealing with contractors at my previous job as an inspector / designer for a Town Engineer, that a lot of contractors need to be constantly watched. YES there are also a good number that do excellent work, they know it, you know it, and they charge accordingly. I don't really see that type of contractor in my budget, unfortunately. So I am kind of stuck in the middle. I would have no problem being the GC for the build, except I already have a full time job. Would I look into hiring a Owner rep. / Inspector? Maybe if it was reasonably priced. What I need is some advice on how to get the job done right. With, or with out, hiring a GC. if we do build we are going to try to do as much as we can, and as much as the town and banks will allow us to do. If the banks require a GC, then I guess I will have to due a great deal of research into his previous builds.

Anyway, I am starting to ramble. This was supposed to be an introduction and has turned into a lengthy post. I will be doing a lot of reading here over the many upcoming months, maybe We'll make some new friends as well.

Rusty105 (John)

Comments (6)