SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pinktoes_gw

Window/door trim thickness---not width

pinktoes
16 years ago

Time to specify our interior trimwork. I'm stymied on the windows/doors. I have two questions.

(1) I've been rereading old threads here, but can't find anything about the thickness. Not the width. Width would be maybe 5", 6" etc. Thickness is how far it protrudes from the wall, more like 3/4", 5/8", maybe 1" ??

Going for a Sarah Susanka, simple Prairie trim (solid pale hardwood like maple or birch, with just a clearcoat over it). Sarah's books describe the width of some things, but not the thickness. I have a FHB article of a contemporary house that uses narrower molding than I want, which might call for less thickness as well; don't know. But here's his thicknesses:

*vertical casings on either side of window/door are 5/8" thick

* head (top) casings are 3/4" thick

All the joints are butt joints. A shadowline is formed by the ticker piece at the head. No plinths. Just flat boards with no grooves. If I need thicker trim, I could maybe go to 1" for the head boards, but that seems excessively deep to me. And I can't seem to find out if trim stock is even available in that thickness.

OK, so the question is, how thick are your window/door's vertical trim and top trim?

(2) I want the top trim to overhang the side/vertical trim very slightly. I see that look everywhere, including Susanka's books. I've also seen it with TOO MUCH overhand and it looks awful to me. But nowhere can I find specs with how far the overhang extends. I'm thinking something like 1/4", but don't know how to find out.

Any help very much appreciated.

Comments (13)