SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purrparlor

starting a home-based candy business

annkathryn
15 years ago

Hello everyone,

I'm considering starting a home-based candy business and would love input from anyone who has done (or has contemplated) doing this in the past.

I've run some numbers and believe that to be profitable and worth the effort, I'd have to sell a *lot* of candy. With high volume come certain economies of scale, but I haven't yet drilled down into just what the volume would need to be.

I have some ideas for selling locally and online.

I've also looked into renting an industrial kitchen so that I don't need to license my home or have it inspected (I'm guessing that would be prohibitively expensive). There's a place near my home that rents licensed kitchen space on an hourly, daily or weekly basis.

I've checked out the online stores of others who are selling the same kind of candy as I would be, so I know there are people doing this. How successful they are is of course hard to tell, but they do get good feedback.

I've worked for startup companies in the past and have incorporated my own software company, so I have a good idea of what kind of overhead is involved in running a small business.

Is it crazy to contemplate opening a business given the current economic climate? I welcome all comments, even ones that say I'm crazy ;-)

Thanks!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville