SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jnh896_gw

cracks in grout/concerned about mold

jnh896
13 years ago

Hello everyone,

We built a new home (production, not custom) this year. We closed in June so we are still under warranty. Our guest bath has a walk-in shower with a tile pan and tile walls. My in-laws came and stayed for an extended visit and did the cleaning of that room while they were here, so I really didn't go in there for a while.

My parents came and visited last weekend and noticed that there are cracks in the grout (and some pieces of grout came up loose) in the seam where the pan meets the wall and up the corner of the shower bench.

I am concerned that the cracks were there while my in-laws were visiting and that water accumulated underneath. My mother thought some of the floor grout looked discolored, but it is a dark color to begin with. I sealed all the tile before we moved in.

My question is - how should I address this with the builder? Should I have an inspector, plumber, or some other outside expert look at it first so I know what I'm dealing with? I don't want a patch of grout put on top - I want to be sure that there's no moisture underneath.

Thanks!

Comment (1)