SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terry_t_gw

For the Pros - Rafter Style Insulation/Venting

terry_t
15 years ago

All my research and limited installation experience indicates the first step in insulating with anything other than foam is to seal all penetrations to the outside before installing the insulation.

If so, why are walls constructed in a manner where all penetrations are sealed to create dead air space before installing insulation whereas rafter roofs are constructed to allow air to flow between the insulation and the roof decking? As I understand typical cold climate rafter roof construction it goes like this -- sheetrock, vapor barrier, batt insulation, soffitt-to-ridgevent baffles (e.g., OwensCorning Raft-R-Mate), roof decking, felt paper/ice shield, & shingles.

However, while insulation baffles may facilitate the majority of air flow to the ridge vent they do not really prevent air from flowing into the fiberglass insulation. In effect, each rafter bay has a large penetration which allows active airflow to filter through the insulation to the vapor barrier and sheetrock. This airlfow speeds up the loss of heat through the ceiling.

Am I missing something obvious or should there be/is there a better system of isolating soffitt-to-ridgevent airflow from insulation than through the use of styrofoam baffles?

Thanks,

Terry

Comments (9)