SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kangell_gw

Two stories or three?

kangell_gw
16 years ago

Hi guys! I've been lurking for a while trying to learn everything I can. Now it's time to get down to it.

We plan to build a custom log home and have a dealer/builder lined up. The property is in the Shenandoah Valley with wonderful views. It will start out as a weekend/vacation home but will eventually be our full-time retirement home.

Right now we're working on the design. Going in, I thought we would have all the main living areas on the main floor to include the master suite. Put a couple of guest suites and loft on the second floor. And then a walk out basement for the 'fun' rooms. I knew this was execessive square footage, but didn't have a better plan. My builder asked...'why are you building a second floor just for guests to be used maybe a month out of the year?' Good question! They said focus the money on space we're going to use day to day. I agree!

So we went down the road of putting the guest rooms (note I'm no longer saying suites) in the basement. But designing is proving a challenge. I want the bedrooms to have the light, but then the rest of the basement gets deprived. And although I never plan to resale, it has to be considered. And if a key feature of the property is the views, why stick guests in the basement?

So now I'm second guessing. Any thoughts on a custom home with the master on the main floor and other bedrooms in a walkout basement? Any basement floorplans you'd care to share?

Thanks!

Comments (13)