SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annindc

Advice on tub/shower plumbing setup

annindc
16 years ago

Redoing a small bathroom used by two small children, and would appreciate suggestions for the tub/shower plumbing set-up. My apologies if I'm not using terminology correctly. (This whole plumbing thing is like so many other fields - the concepts are easy, but learning the vocabulary is hell!)

Right now, we primarily use it as a tub, with a cheap hand-held shower screwed into the shower arm. The oldest kid (6 yrs old) would like to start taking her own showers on occasion, but the showerhead is too high for her to reposition. I'd like something practical and a little more elegant looking. I'm looking at several options:

1. I could go with a tub spout and a slide-bar mounted handheld shower. But thinking down the road when the kids are older, I don't think it's wise to tile the area and not include a shower arm. Can the hose for the handheld shower be attached to a short shower arm? I don't like the after-market look of a handheld shower screwed into the usual 6-inch shower arm. Also not sure I like having even a slidebar.

2. I've also thought of having a tub filler, fixed showerhead, and a handheld shower wall-mounted down near the tub filler. Cleaner-looking to me than a slidebar. I'd need a 3-way diverter if I went this route, right?

3. I really like the clean lines (not the price, though) of a product like the Axor Starck X wall-mount tub filler with handheld, or some of the Dornbracht products. But since these all have volume controls on the spout, how do I combine this with a fixed showerhead? Do I need a diverter, or could the plumber just make a T in the cold and hot water lines, and run one end of each to the tub filler and one to the shower control? If I need a diverter for the shower, then if I want a bath wouldn't I need to turn on the water back near the divertor, and then turn it on at the tub filler?

Also, I've seen a product sold at www.expressdecor made by Kraus of brass(or so it is claimed) for cheap ($60). Too good to be true? Has anybody ever ordered from them, or seen this product?

4. Last but not least, I could get a tub spout with a side outlet, and add a handheld and a wall mount. But the only spouts that I have found are not very attractive.

What have any of you done, and extra points (well, at least extra appreciation) if you could post a photo? What should I definitely NOT do??

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Comment