SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
synrgystyk

Tile over unknown substrate?

synrgystyk
16 years ago

Ok, so this really isn't a "bathroom" question, but it probably goes best in this forum anyway. Please bear with me....

I have a "garden" room at the back of my house -- windows on two sides and a skylight. It's also the NW corner of the house, but hey, I didn't do it.

The room is about 12x12, with a wall-to-wall bookcase below the windows on one wall (west wall), and a steam radiator under the windows on the other wall (north wall). The north wall also has a door to the outside. The south wall is wood siding and the east wall is wood siding with a door into the office/library.

I'd like to put ceramic tile on the floor in this room. It is home to lots of plants so there's often water on the floor, along with dirt, etc. The room is also home to the cat food and three litterboxes. (It is the cats' bathroom!) My eldest cat does not always have the best "aim" so there is sometimes other-than-water on the floor. (The cats think I keep the plants in there specifically to provide them with their own "jungle gym." This means that sometimes *I* am not the cause of the water and dirt on the floor. *sigh*)

The current floor is generic peel-and-stick vinyl tile. Obviously this is not waterproof. I'm not sure what subfloor is underneath the vinyl and getting a good look at it may be difficult since my basement is only partial (and not under *that* part).

I'd like to remove the bookshelves (I don't think this'll be too difficult) and the radiator, tile the whole floor area, and then replace the shelves, etc. My goal is a durable, waterproof floor that'll handle the abuse of being a garden room/cat area floor. How would I go about ensuring an adequate substrate for tile if I'm not sure about the subfloor material?

Thanks!

Lorree

Comments (3)