SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
candler_gw

Corrupted File? Western Digital Backup?

candler
13 years ago

Howdy. XP3/IE7/2003Dell4600/1RAM/AVG. I guess a little knowledge is dangerous. This might be long. A week ago+ my warranted WD portable hard drive went belly up. WD said it was because of a corrupted file. For around a year+ I've used WD's drive to selectively backup maybe a couple of hundred photos and maybe twice that many of business or personal correspondence. I've never used it for a complete computer backup.

My computer has had its up and downs but nothing to stop it. I would generally access WD's drive (mine was F, and USB connected) via My Computer. I realized the problem when I clicked on F and my system bogged down. Nothing but a blank lit screen. The mouse or CtrlAltDel would not work.

I rebooted and the Desktop came up okay. I again went to My Computer to access F. My system bogged down again. A WD window came up asking if I wanted to Format drive F to which I checked No. I disconnected the WD drive. It took my computer maybe a couple of minutes to come around. I checked the WD drive on another computer and then with a different USB cable. Windows Explorer does not show any of my backed up files.

It seems if I had transferred a file from my drive C to their drive F that was so corrupted it stopped the WD then it would have done the same on my drive C. Right?

The entire incidence happened around the same time I downloaded a popular free ad removal program. Coincidence?

For whatever it's worth I downloaded a temporarily free file extraction program. It was so difficult to understand I gave up. Thanks, Gene

Comments (4)