SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindatsr

Help finding a 42 inch wall hood -- or do I really need it?

lindatsr
15 years ago

Please help... My kitchen is completely torn up as part of a whole house remodel. I am narrowing down all my appliance choices... but have hit a roadblock on the one I've done the least research on, figuring it would be a fast and easy pick once we had figured out the layout and "feel" of the kitchen. Now the time has come and I'm having a hard time finding the function I want with the form my designer wants.

I am getting a 36" gas cooktop with a total of 54K BTUs. I can never imagine myself using all the burners at once, but I do plan to use the big burner for stir frying fairly regularly, and I'd like the blower to be able to handle whatever the top can put out, if needed. It's my understanding that I should have a hood that is 3" bigger on each side than my cooktop for the best capture, and that I should have at least 10 cfm for each BTU.

Based on that, I am looking for a 42" unit, 600+ cfm. My designer thinks the style of my kitchen would best lend itself to a stainless hood that is slim and simple with straight lines, like an upside down T, nothing bulky or professional-looking, no big triangles or curves. I would prefer baffle filters, do not want the squirrel cage or oil cans. It will vent through the roof, a nice straight shot about 9-10 feet up. It will hang all alone on the wall, no wall cabinets to either side of it. I would prefer an external blower.

There are lots of 36" units with internal blowers with forms that I like but it seems the ones that fit my function criteria are all the bigger, bulkier pro-style versions.

Am I looking for something that doesn't exist? Are my expectations unrealistic? Would a 36" hood be okay? If I get one with an internal blower, which ones are the quietest?

Please forgive me if this question has been asked before... trying to search the archives is very, very tedious at dial-up speed!

TIA,

Linda

Comments (8)