SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
richard_f

Electrolux Buys GE's Appliance Business

richard_f
9 years ago

Pardon me if this has already been discussed in another post, but I was wondering what everyone thought of the recent news that GE was getting out of the appliance business and that Electrolux was getting even bigger by buying them:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/electrolux-to-buy-ge-appliances-business-for-3-3-billion-1410155847

I for one am not that sorry to see GE get out of this market as I've had really bad experiences with GE profile refrigerators. Two developed coolant leaks within five years and were unrepairable. I also have a Frigidaire upright freezer and gas range that's I've been pretty happy with. I know lots of people have had various issues with Electrolux products. I think that GE's known for years that they planned on dumping this business when the time was right and have just been milking their reputation.

This leaves Whirlpool as Electrolux's only large competitor. As the chart in the WSJ piece illustrates, there are a lot of participants in the appliance market, but now only two with really large sales in the US.

Comments (7)