SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abandy_gw

1st question, island ledge query

abandy
9 years ago

Hello! I have checked to see if anyone has asked something similar, but couldn't find it. Your opinions are so helpful I thought I would ask. I noticed fishymom prefers a ledge, but for different reasons than why we are wondering.
We are remodeling a small kitchen and separate dining area by taking down 2 walls to open it up. The cooktop will be on an island; there is nowhere else to put it as the oven/range will become a wall oven.
I feel a little freaked out that I will be cooking with no wall in front of me, just space. I worry things will simply slide off the back onto the floor (salt pig, pepper mill POTS!). So, I suggested to our designer and my husband that we put a ledge behind the cooktop on the island, and it can double as a place to set an open cookbook, my iPad, or a glass (of wine). It's 7 1/2 inches high off the cooktop counter, and 12.5 inches deep
Hubby doesn't prefer it; he likes the smooth uncluttered look of a flat top island. He wants to know if my concern is a practical one or experiential b/c I haven't cooked on an island before,and I don't know what it's like. (I would get used to it.)
What do you think? I have attached a picture of the design.
Thanks so much for your time.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH