SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loagiehoagie

Stupid, insensitive doctors!

loagiehoagie
15 years ago

Hi, this has been building for quite some time and the post from Gina about her mom waiting for test results brought it to the surface. I didn't want to hijack her thread and my thoughts and prayers are with you during this tough time.

Okay, the reason for this post. When my mom was in the hospital after her 3rd heart attack I was on the way to see her after work when my dad called to say he was having chest pains and was driving himself to the emergency room. Oh great, both parents in the cardiac unit I was thinking. Well, a bit of family history....whenever my mom was sick or had anything that was bothering her my dad was always saying 'me too!'. He couldn't be compassionate (my DW is alot like this..sigh) and always had similar symptons. It got to the point of being rather humorous at times although maddening as well. After my grandma died (mom's mom) my mom got so depressed and suicidal she had to be admitted to a mental ward for a while. My dad was then depressed and checked himself in as well and had a great time making crafts, belts etc LOL. Okay, so that is the history behind the 'me too' bit.

Anyway, my dad was in emergency and I was running from one end of the hospital to the other all the while making sure my mom didn't know my dad was also being admitted. She was blind and I was doing a pretty good tap dance avoiding questions about where he was and why he wasn't visiting her etc at that time.

Well, the next morning the heart doc came into to her room and casually mentioned that my dad was also admitted for heart problems. I arrived shortly after finding my mom 3/4 of the way out of bed after having another heart attack...she was so upset about my dad she did actually have another heart attack and if I wouldn't have shown up she would have most likely died right there. I was furious with the doctor and my dad. I vowed to never forgive him, but I did especially after they found out he had a blockage and needed a stent put in. If he would have been faking I would have killed him myself. But the doctor...arghhhh...after all that trying to keep this from her he casually mentions this and walks out of the room.

Okay, after her 5th heart attack within a year they determine that she needs surgery. The prognosis is 70/30 they say....which I tell my mom 80/20....so if I was lying they most likely were too. We knew it was risky, but there really wasn't much choice. The heart surgeon arrives after transporting her to the hospital where the surgery is to be performed. I am in the room making sure she gets fed since being blind she can't find the food tray when the food service people plop it down 4 feet from her bed. Anyway the heart surgeon tells her while I am there that if she does survive the surgery that she will need to require dialysis treatments 3 times a week after that for the rest of her life. Okay, WHY tell her that when we need her to be positive before the surgery? Tell ME..but she doesn't have to know??? My mom was not the most positive person and the doctor might as well as been hammering a few nails in her coffin for the damage to her will to live.

Doctors can be very smart, but they can be so stupid in common sense areas of the human psyche. I had this building for some time and don't really require any responses. I just needed to get it off my chest.

My mom died 2 weeks after surgery. Lungs, heart and kidneys. Couldn't overcome all of that.

Duane

Comments (9)