SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loveswindowsanddogs_gw

Cooktop under Window: Downdraft or Chimney Hood?

I'm installing a new kitchen and I can't bear to give up a window in the wall over/ behind the cooktop. Unfortunately, there just isn't any other place to put the cooktop. As far as I can tell, the options are a high powered popup downdraft or a chimney style hood that is designed for an island installation. Another factor is the ceiling height (9 feet, 10 inches). Can a chimney hood even have that long of a run? The new window will be at most 48 inches wide including interior casing, although it can be narrower. It is hard to imagine a suspended stainless hood in front of a window, particularly since this is a very traditional 1925-35 two story home.

I will be removing a down-drafted gas JA cooktop and installing a new 30 inch gas cooktop. The current drafting setup is lousy.

What advice and suggestions do you have? Anyone have experience with a similar situation? Or experience with a good or bad popup downdraft? Or experience with a chimney hood suspended over a long span? How low would it have to be in order to be effective?

The GW forums are wonderful! Many thanks to the posters from this lurker.

Comments (16)