SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spagano

Copyright Infringement? Am I correct?

spagano
11 years ago

I recently stopped at a newly built house I love to ask if I could take a few exterior photos. The owner was very welcoming, inviting me in, showing me around, explaining the changes they made to the floor plan, etc. She gave me the name of the floor plan and the design site (it's a 'new old house') as well as her builder, who she raved about. Checked out the house site and fell in love, checked out the builder site, eh. Not bad but not much info. Found the builder was having an open house (spec) so BF and I went to take a look just to get a feel for his work. The owner of the company was there and while he was a very nice man I was not impressed with his building, explanations or materials used. (I think GW has spoiled me for quality at all price levels). But the main thing that bothered me was this: When I told him I heard about him through a previous customer and we asked about his experience with the company that supplied (or so we thought) the panels we learned that he actually stick built the house using their plans. He claims he "made a lot of changes so the inside is much different, it's not really their design inside" I'm not an expert but-no he didn't. A few feet were added in each direction, the mudroom/side entry was opened up a bit, a fireplace was removed which allowed a bigger MBR closet and bath and the laundry and sitting areas upstairs were changed a bit. While this doesn't have a direct effect on me it does bother me as it seems very dishonest, unethical, just plain wrong and (if the owner really didn't realize it was wrong) just stupid. Also, I haven't been in touch with the home company yet but was going to mention I learned about them through the homeowner. So, do I go ahead and still mention how I learned about them (and let them figure it out) or just say I heard about them "somewhere". And YES, I know it really doesn't concern me but it just makes me mad. Getting off my soapbox now... Thanks for any input.

Comments (19)