SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nashguy_gw

Great Deal on GE Induction Range at BestBuy!

nashguy
14 years ago

Everyone,

BestBuy is apparently celebrating the arrival of the free-standing GE Induction range, PHB925SPSS. (It has been "Coming Soon" for quite awhile on their website.)

I've seen prices along the lines of $2,700 to $3,200. Well, they have it on sale for $2,294.99!

I bought it online last night, sight-unseen, unfortunately, but that price lured me in.

Delivery/installation is $80, and I'll have it next weekend.

Seems like an EXCELLENT deal.

Any questions...

Comments (33)

• bommai
    14 years ago

That is nice. Did you get to see it at Best Buy? We were going to get the GE induction cooktop for our new house build. But this is cheaper than buying separate oven and cooktop. I hope my wife will let us save some money! She is bent on getting the 36" cooktop!

• lennym
    14 years ago

In my area (NY Metro) it seems impossible to actually see one of these. Please follow up after you have used it for a short while and let us now all about it.

Thanks.

• Related Discussions

GE Induction Need a deal

Q

Comments (11)
    cherie: I would love to hear an update on how you like your new GE Profile Induction (PHP900). We're about to embark on the same adventure! We've never had induction before so we don't know what to expect. We've heard almost all good comments on the Profile induction. Any drawbacks? The one thing that I am most concerned with is the induction "humming". Have you any thoughts you'd like to share on this since you've now had it for a few months? The cheapest price I have found on this unit including delivery is from www.fotoconnection.com - it's $1438.99. I plan on taking the print out I made from them to our local Home Depot, where they said that they'd price match. (Their original quote was $1699) I'd rather deal with someone face to face than over the internet or phone, but still save over $200. Interested in hearing your thoughts soon, Cherie! Hope you are still checking in on GW. Please share what you did for pans as well - I'd be curious to know what brand you purchased. Thanks, Boxie Here is a link that might be useful: Cheapest one I found
    ...See More

GE Profile Slide-In Induction Range PHS925STSS

Q

Comments (150)
    First of all, many thanks to 1cubed, writersblock, JWVideo, zacman44 for such quick responses! I've Google searched my way into this forum many times, but never needed to comment or ask questions until now. I do have to say though that the content has always been top notch, and everyone is very helpful! Hopefully I can give back some time! The general feedback here though definitely calms the nerves! In reponse to JWVideo; I actually came across a few reviews specifically for the GE Slide-In Induction Range PHS925STSS, but didn't see any video demos of the issue which is why I asked here, given that there were actual owners who had been living with it commenting on it. Zacman44 comments that flat bottom pans made a difference. Thinking about it, that makes total sense. We'll be getting a new cookset, so I'll make sure to keep an eye out for that. We're in Seattle, and the appliance company (Albert Lee Appliance) has been helpful in the past, so I'll see if they can get it set up to test before we drop the cash for it. I've seen a few other live demos of induction ranges and they look amazing, which is why we are excited to try it out. Again, many thanks for all the helpful comments and seriously quick replies!! I'll post any updates I have when we make the purchase and install one. Thanks!
    ...See More

GE Induction Range Problem

Q

Comments (254)
    I suggest that for the pile of complexity known as an induction cooktop or induction range (only the cooktop is induction), that the price of the unit be considered a rental cost. Factory warranty is typically for only one year without a warranty extension. With a warranty extension divide by 5 for a yearly rental cost when you have a 5-year warranty, and by larger values if the warranty can be extended further (warranty costs add to purchase price). My Frigidaire cooktop is running OK at 8 years with warranty extensions so my yearly "rental" has dropped to under $250 (guessing). So Maxim 1 is to buy warranty extensions for pricey, reliability-challenged appliances, and if such an appliance fails after the warranty ends just replace it. Maxim 2 is that price analysis should be combined with an evaluation of warranty costs (should be inversely proportional to reliability) to choose a unit where the imputed yearly rental is affordable.
    ...See More

Experience with GE Induction Range or Samsung Gas Range?

Q

Comments (15)
    I have cooked on standard and pro-style gas, electric coil, electric smooth top and now induction. This, over a 50-plus year span as an adult, and I'm a good cook. I personally feel that when cooking, one should generally pick up a pan, and not schlep it around on the range. To move food around in the pan, use a utensil, not scraping and shaking the pan on the cooking surface (TV cooks looking cool doing such, plus flipping food, etc. notwithstanding). With minimal care, your induction cooking surface will remain looking good! I clean up with Dawn on a cloth or sponge, rinse using same, and dry with a microfiber cloth. This takes care of food spills, water marks and grease splatters. Special cleaners not required... my experience.
    ...See More
  • arley_gw
    14 years ago

The specs look great.

Unfortunately, the pdf the GE website links to is for a generic GE range and says nothing about this particular range's induction function. Anybody know of a website that discusses the induction operations?

One specific question: on the induction hobs, do they have shutoff timers? That is, when the preset time has elapsed, does the power get shut off to the hobs, or are they more like kitchen timers (that is, a buzzer goes off but the power remains on until you shut it off)?

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

Its my understanding that GE does not have timers on the individual hobs.

• netbat
    14 years ago

i hope someone can help when they get there range.
    i was suppose to get the ge induction range sep 9 but best buy does not have the range for delivery or in any of there stores.
    anyway, i am blind and have no one to help me when i get it.
    none of the reviews i found has any info that i need to start useing the range when i get it.
    like are there any spaces between the control pads for the burners, how many pads are there for each burner?
    are there spaces between each burner controls? are there spaces between the numbers if this model has a numeric touch pad?
    i would need about 1/4 inch for tactile bumps to be able to locate the pads.
    does any of the pads beep to confirm they have been pressed?
    all i have found out from the review on sears.com is each burner has its own on/off pad and a simmer pad.

• nashguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Note re the great deal - turns out the GE website has lowered the suggested retail price - it's now $2,799. I still feel I got a good deal, but just not as good.

I apparently haven't learned the language of induction - people talking about hobs and induction operation. Can someone elaborate?

Well, the range has arrived. Various screwups resulted in the initial delivery commitment NOT being met. BestBuy did not impress in this regard.

Here's some specs from the link that may be informative:

Induction (Boost/Nominal)
    Right Front - 3700 watts/2400 watts
    Right Rear - 1800 watts/1300 watts
    Left Front - 2500 watts/1850 watts
    Left Rear - 2500 watts/1850 watts
    Warming Zone - 120 watts
    Max Power - Left Side - 3700 watts
    Max Power - Right Side - 3700 watts

Anyway, delivery experience - the guys did ok getting it into my place. Up a number of outdoor stairs, but they said they'd seen worse.

Boy, does it look good!

Unpacking was uneventful, except for the pain-in-the-butt plastic film put on by GE which is on an awful lot of the surfaces. Some of it came off easily, but there are some kinds that just don't want to come off. Or leave a sticky, filmy residue that's a pain to remove. I guess in a perfect world, removing this would've been the responsibility of the delivery folks, but not here. Still cleaning it off.

Anyway, I did my scientific experiment to see the effectiveness of induction cooking - I boiled some water in my new Le Creuset stainless steel cookware. There is some humming, but not bothersome. And it was FAST. The largest zone as well as one of the smaller. Both very fast.

There are four burner "places" and a fifth spot, which is a warming zone. One quite large, and three smaller. The operation of the burners is a little atypical. No knobs, just a spot on the panel that you touch. If you hold it, it goes up in increments until you get to H for High.

A little disjointed - I'll put more up once I have a chance to do some actual cooking. (By the way, got the Le Creuset stainless steel cookware in an 8 piece set on ShopNBC - The set lists elsewhere for about $450, but ShopNBC had it for $273! Apparently, it sold out. No longer available. VERY nice.)

Any questions...

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Induction Range specs and details

• nashguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

NetBat - I think the surfaces are almost perfectly smooth. I couldn't detect anything that provided any tactile feedback on either the cooking surface or the rear panel where the controls are.

Let me know if I can provide any additional info.

• netbat
    14 years ago

if the control panel is like a microwave oven where you can feel the numbers depress a little i could put rubber bumps right on the touch pads.
    but if the touch pad is all glasss i hope there some spaces either between the pads or spaces between each burnner controls where i could put the rubber bumps. even between each burnner control. i could put a bump inbetween each burnner control and press the pad above or below each bump.
    if the oven has a number pad are there any spaces between the rows of numbers?
    or if the pads are big enough i could put small rubber bumps inbetween the numbers and still have finger space above and below each bump to touch the pads.
    can the oven be started like some other induction cook tops?
    like the electrolux will default to 350 degrees just by pressing the start pad.
    the only store i can go to was sears but they still don't have the range on display.
    pardon my pun but i bought it sight unseen. grin
    i bought it based on the specs and price.

sounds good that best buy is delivering. maybe i'll get mine on sep 22
    thanks for any help.

• bommai
    14 years ago

My local Best Buy does not have this in stock, but Sears did. People - check Sears they might have it on the floor. I saw it - looks nice but not as nice as a cooktop. We are building a new home and my wife insists on a 36" cooktop - so we are getting a GE Monogram 36" induction cooktop - I get employee discount through GE. Looking forward to it - but the house construction is not even started yet.

• nashguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, first meal behind me. Salmon burgers, jasmine rice, and grilled asparagus. Some things have jumped out at me.

1. I really wish this would have been available as a slide-in, with controls on the front. Don't like reaching across the pots to adjust the controls.

2. It is fast - melted some butter to saute some garlic. Boiled water for the rice, even used a Le Creuset grilling "pan" for the asparagus. So much quicker than traditional electric.

3. The fact that the cooking surface doesn't heat up like a traditional flat surface range means that food doesn't cook onto the surface if there's a spill. MUCH easier to clean up.

4. There is a slight trench between the cooking surface and the stainless front and sides and the rear. Seems like a place designed to catch food. Not the greatest design.

5. I wish there were a better visual representation of how high the burner is turned up. You're shown a number, the higher the number the higher the heat, whereas I like a gauge. Let me see that it's half way, or almost off. (There is an "H" shown when turned up on high.)

Overall, I feel like I'm driving a make of a car I'm not familiar with it. I know the basics, but just feel somewhat off of my game.

I do really like it so far.

Any questions...

• nashguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Netbat, you may be right, that there are the slightest of indentations on the controls. And I'll have to look more closely re the rest of your questions - it's like an exam !

• netbat
    14 years ago

sorry, you are only the second person so far that actually got this range. the other person is on sears.com
    i am just afraid i will have a $2600 door stop i can't use.
    if there is any movement when you press the touch pads like a micro wave oven has then i could put the bumps right on the pads and they would still work.
    the rased edges are there to catch spills before they land on the floor.
    i am glad the controls are not on the front. every drip or spill could leak into the control panel if it is not completely sealed off.
    and with me i do not know if anything would be spilled on it until i felt it. i would not be able to clean it off until i found the child lock out before i could wipe it. i would be constantly activating the keys when wiping it off.
    and with tactile bumps they would be constantly falling off when i wiped them too.

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

Having seen one, the control panel is glass. There is no movement when touching a control pad. You would need to put something around the buttons in order to know where they are. I believe their is room for this, including the number area for the oven.

For the slide-in version of the Kenmore, the panel is on the front. The issue with that may be accidentally bumping into a button without knowing it. This happens with my Cooktek occasionally.

• llaatt22
    14 years ago

Diva brought out a Tactile Marking Kit a few years ago so folks with seeing problems could use their induction cooktops. You might give them a call to see if kits are still available at dealers or elsewhere.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diva Tactile Kit

• netbat
    14 years ago

hi,
    i already put the bug in the g e ears. grin
    they do not have tactile kits for the ge induction range.
    and i dout the Diva Tactile Kit would work for the ge induction range.
    i am still getting excited. i hope best buy dilevers tuesday. if not this would be a second time they would reschedule the delivery. i was suppose to get it on sep 9.
    i like that there are no radient burners or exposed bottom elements bottom in the oven. i have caught several pot holders and oven mitts on fire with the oven i got rid of.

• llaatt22
    14 years ago

From what I have read the The Diva Tactile Kit control label parts are not applied over the actual control surfaces but close to each one on the side closest to the cooktop front. That way you can slide you hand along starting from the front and intercept the Braile indicator line and proceed left or right along it to detect what you want and then go slightly up, over and down the "sign" to activate the desired control surface spot just beyond.

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

BTW, was just on the Sears site, and they have it also for $2294.

• netbat
    14 years ago

don't bother ordering the ge induction range. best buy still does not have any in there warehouse.
    sears does not have any either. they are doing the same thing as best buy is doing. they are pre ordering when they have no invetory.
    my order has been delayed again until october 18. they have my money and the bank is charging me finance charges now on a range i don't even have.
    is this any way to run a business?

• bommai
    14 years ago

Good companies don't actually charge your credit card until they have a product ready to ship. Backordered items are not supposed to be charged. In fact, some countries have laws against that. The US doesn't!! But I am surprised Best Buy/Sears would do that. I would complain the hell out of it.

• nashguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sigh... BestBuy now has the Samsung Induction Range for sale for $1,999.99! My local (Nashville) BestBuy actually had it on the sales floor! On one hand, it looked nice. Most Samsung stuff does. But I really didn't like how prominent the outlines were of the "burners" on the cooktop. Like chalk lines around a body!

Used the convection oven for the first time on my GE range- roasted brussel sprouts! They cooked VERY quickly and were great! No noticeable extra noise from the fans.

One surprise was that the oven took quite a while to preheat. No big deal, just a surprise. The controls show what temperature the oven is while it's preheating.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    14 years ago

Wow -- I bet you are really doing to see the prices of these units come down now that their are more out there. Now, if only they would come out with slide-in models.

My question --- do you HAVE to match the pan to the same sized burner on an induction stove like you do on a regular smooth-top electric???? I always found this to be a pain on my current stove because the size burner I need most often is in the back and hard to reach.

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

Generally, yes. There are minimum and maximum sizes. The pan cannot be too small or too big. Though too big usually means 1" larger than the hob size.

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

Just looking at the Sears Friends and Family sale tonight. You can get the GE Induction for $1943.99.

• netbat
    14 years ago

does anyone have the induction range yet?
    one question. does it have a convenience plug like my old stove had?
    i'm still waiting.
    i put my old stove out on the curb sep 8 and someone took it the same day.
    i was suppose to get the stove sep 9.
    i have been with ut a stove for a month now. sure hope they get it soon. the next delivery is suppose to be on oct 18

• netbat
    14 years ago

i got it!
    its going to be a long learning curve for me. it took me 4 days to

find and mark the touch pads with tactile dots
    to set and run the oven, and the cook timer.
    i cooked my first pizza tonight and it came out good for the first

try. the sause did not evaporate like it does in a regular oven and

the meat did not burn. the crust rose very nicely which it usually

does not happen in the old oven.
    the oven temp did not vary at all after it reached the set temp.
    the old oven could vary up to 60 degrees between the on/off cycle.
    very nice. i can barely hear the fans.
    i found and marked the burner touch pads the same day. it boiled a

quart of water in 2 minutes.
    the sausage and scrambled eggs cooked up nicely too.
    and i used the warming zone to keep the eggs warm while i cooked the

sausage.
    the temp control is very close to what you get with gas burners once the pan heats up.
    its going to take some time to get use to where the touch pad

controls are for me.
    this stove has a pizza touch pad too but i haven't found it yet.
    it has a setting for frozen or a fresh pizza.
    the alarm sounds have 3 volume levels
    but i will not be able to set this myself.
    most every setting reverts back to the factory default with each
    power failure.
    but for me i am likeing it more every day as i learn where all the controls are and can mark them with tactile dots.

• rjr220
    14 years ago

Sears has a "20% off induction" the entire month of October: they are listing the price of the GE Range at 2159.99 -- 40 LESS than the Kenmore Elite Induction range.

Netbat -- thanks for your experience thus far, I hope that you don't have toooo many surges that reset the features. Boiling a quart in 2 minutes . . . I dream of that day.

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

I was just at Sears yesterday and was going to post about the sale, too.

Seriously, I really want induction at this point, although I really like the GE Cafe.

• netbat
    14 years ago

do not use thin steel pans on induction unless they are going to be used to heat sauces only.
    a few months ago i bought a cheap 7 peace set of enameled cast iron? because i was not sure i wanted to buy a induction range. i have a 1 burner induction hot plate.
    any way the first time i used the fry pan on power level 4 to cook some sausage the pan warped and buckled and the teflon burned off the pan. my thicker stainless steel worked fine but is not non stick and of course everything sticks to it and i have to soak the pan every time i use it. i hate it. grin
    from other reviews i found do not use cast iron on a smooth top range. it is like sandpaper and will scratch the cook top.

this ge induction range has thick fiberglas insulation on the oven door. very little heat can be felt from the front.
    also the door heat vents are covered by the cooktop
    food will not fall inside of the dore like the kemore induction range does.
    the vent on there door is exposed and every drip or spill will fall inside the oven door.
    now if i could find out where the pizza,convection bake and conduction roast touch tabs are. i have tapped all over the control glass and haven't found them. no one so far wants to help me add tactile dots to the controls i can't find.
    and whats the difference between convection bake and convection cook. there is suppose to be touch pads for
    both.

• rjr220
    14 years ago

Netbat -- I ordered my GE Induction range this week-end. It will be delivered on the 14th. I'll need a bit of time to get up and running on it, but I'm "clipping" your posting. I'll figure out where pizza, convection back and conduction roast touch tabs are and let you know. If no one helps before then, if you can wait for 3 weeks I'll post a thread for you.

Rita

• netbat
    14 years ago

i doubt if you will get it in 3 weeks
    my order was delayed 2 times. i got it in 6 weeks
    after the second delay best buy told me it takes 4 to 6 weeks because they are comeing from the factory. not the store.
    you will also find out the instructions are not specific to the ge model you bought. it covers radient, 2 oven models and induction models. it will take some time to figure out which instructions are for your model.
    all you get with it is a coupon twords a broiling pan. i would rather get a induction fry pan instead. i am saveing my money now for that.
    i am thinking about the swiss diamond brand. but the induction pans are expensive. i only want 1 or 2 pans. either the 10" fry pan or the 11" saute pan because it has high sides and would be harder to spill things with it.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    14 years ago

I am buying the Kenmore slide-in induction today because it is on sale for 2099 (cheaper than the free-standing!).

netbat: do not use thin steel pans on induction unless they are going to be used to heat sauces only.

Do you think this was due to induction technology or the burner was just up too high?

I was going to buy some cheaper Ikea pans that are induction capable because I'll be broke after buying the stove -- I hope they will work ok.

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

I have induction - a cooktop - but wanted to add to this thread in the hopes I could help out netbat and her sticking food dilemma.

Basically you can cook anything (except eggs) in a heavy SS pan and cook it well.

To saute almost anything in those thick SS pans: Heat the pan hot enough so that water "jumps" when flicked into the pan. I know you can't see it but you can hear it. Then add a swirl of oil - I like grapeseed because it has the highest smoking point, is healthy and tasteless. Heat till it swirls which usually takes about 30 seconds. Again I know you can't see this but you will get to know this point as you continue experimenting with your cooktop. The premise is that food must go into HOT oil. This also lowers the absorption of oil by the food.

Then place the food in the oil and let sit till it self releases from the pan. Sticking food just means you haven't let is sit long enough for the outside natural sugars to caramelize and release from the pans surface. Once this happens, flip the food and cook the other side the same way. Now when you take the food out the pan you can add wine or stock to make a pan sauce from any bits naturally left behind (Chefs call this the FOND).

If you don't want a sauce, add soapy water to the HOT pan, scrape up the bits with a wooden spoon. Enjoy dinner and come back to a pan easy to clean.

• netbat
    14 years ago

i'm just a heat and serve kind of cook most of the time. grin

i'm sure it is the thin enameled steel pans.
    this was a 7 peace induction ready set i got for $60. the glass lids would cost me more then this and even if i through the 4 pans away the glass lids will fit some of my better duch oven and fry pans.
    i can use my silverstone pans with the induction adaptor plate i have until i can get some good induction cookware.
    i burned the teflon of the pan with a induction hot plate on power level 4 (out of 9) and was cooking sausage.