SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jean001_gw

intel ima adpcm (11) codec needed for vista

jean001
13 years ago

Just when things are going well, something unexpected pops up. Some of the videos I use for teaching (wmv files) won't play because the above mentioned codec is missing.

I use PowerPoint shows (Office 2007 -- ppsx) with the videos inserted and set to play automatically. (If I can't play the videos on their own, they won't work in a ppsx.)

The videos worked fine with my XP. Come to think of it, I believe they ran on this Vista machine because I always test them after I download and convert the video. (I use Zamzar for conversions.)

I looked for the codec. Microsoft doesn't supply it, says to look for another source, then warns of problems if you install!

Can anyone tell me how to get around this annoying glitch?

HP m8100n Media Center

Vista w/windows updates

Comments (8)

• justme4now
    13 years ago

Have you tried using a different player?

See my link.

Here is a link that might be useful: VLC

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

jean-
    You may be misinterpreting the "warning." Windows does not maintain a list of all the "safe" software you could possibly want to unstall, so, by default, it questions almost anything you want to install to make sure that it is really your intent to install it. It does not mean anything is wrong with the software. I have had this happen to me dozens of times. When I need some new software or codec, I go to a site at the top of the search results, and save it to my Desktop. Then I scan that file with my antivirus to make sure the file is safe, then I start the install, click past the Microsoft warning, and complete the installation.

The codec you were looking for is a legitimate one. The only concern would be if you downloaded it from a sketchy site and someone planted a virus inside. That is the reason to save it and scan it first, rather than simply install it. I actually have never had a problem with a download that was infected in this way, but it's possible.

The suggestion above to install another video player is a good idea, too...just don't be surprised if you get a Windows warning when you go to install it.

• zep516
    13 years ago

See if any help here

Here is a link that might be useful: codec.mspx

• jean001
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can play this particular video if I change the "open with" to IrfanView. But I don't understand why doing that also changes the "open with" option for all of the other videos I have.

The wmf files via the Windows Player have always worked well inside a PowerPoint. So I guess my greatest concern is that using something else may not. (I should try it, right? Hmm; I need to crank up my brave.)

Before I posted, I thought I had read the info at the site zep suggests. But I don't recall seeing the info about the WMP link. Will check that out, also will feel more secure following kudzu's suggestions.

Thanks, All, I'll try your suggestions then let you know what happened.

• jean001
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yippee, yippee, yippee! I love you, justme4now; the vlc player works perfectly inside a PowerPoint show with all of the videos I've tried so far.

Thank you, All, once again. It's great to know folks like you!

• DA_Mccoy
    13 years ago

There is a relatively new release of Vista Codecs at Filehippo.com.

Sorry I can't link you as the site is blocked by the content filter here

• jean001
    Original Author
    13 years ago

damccoy,

I see in the upper right corner that they have a scanner to detect what the computer might need. Probably should use that first, right? (Just being cautious; I've heard enough computer horror stories to question everything more than once.)

• justme4now
    13 years ago

jean001

So glad that the VLC player worked for what you needed.

VLC has all of the codecs needed to play, just about anything.

I never use any other player.

JM