SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petchia

Easement - how hard to get one?

petchia
15 years ago

I'm in a situation where my property does not have connectivity to the local sewer system. Unfortunately it is too far away on my street to connect to. This leaves me with having to have a septic system which I'm trying to avoid.

One other option I have is to get an utility easement from the people that own the property behind me and pump my wastewater up to the sewer system on the street there house is on.

It's kind of a weird situation. Basically, most everywhere around me is on sewer but there are some areas that sewer was never setup at. My lot is only 3/4 acre and I don't want to "waste" valuable space installing a septic system. Also septic could limit the size of home I build because our regulations require a certain size septic system based on # of bedrooms.

Sorry to be so long winded. My question is about pursuing an easement from the neighbors behind me. Has anyone done this? Is it hard or next to impossible to get done? What is the process for attempting this? Hire a real estate attorney that contacts those neighbors and "negotiates" it?

Best,

Bill

Comments (20)