SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissastar

pondering combo of ceramic subway & marble

melissastar
10 years ago

I'm adding a small 5 X 10 guest bathroom to my old (1907) home. I'd like it to play well with the old feeling of the house but I'm not into historical accuracy. Something that suggests the right era more than mimics it.

The givens so far are a Kohlers Memoirs tub (with shower) and toilet and an American Standard Retrospect console sink...white fireclay on a chrome console. I had been contemplating a calacatta marble hex floor and white 3X6 subway tile with pale or medium gray grout all around the room to chair height, with a white ceramic chair rail. In the bath/shower surround I would take the tile to the ceiling. I'd use the calacatta marble for a shelf above the sink and for a niche in the shower/tub area.

But for a variety of reasons, I'm contemplating using marble above the white subways and chair rail in the tub/shower surround. I've seen a very few pictures on Houzz of mixed ceramic and marble tile walls and I'm just not sure about them.
I think it's possible that I haven't seen a tile size combination I like. Possibilities include using large format 12X12 marble, 1X1 or 2X2 hex, 1X2's in a diagonal herringbone or 2X4 rectangles (mini subways). I'd love some feedback about whether the whole combo ceramic subway/marble walls work and if so, which format marble sounds right.

Thanks!

Comments (14)