SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tjg911

cursor disappers

TJG911
15 years ago

this has bugged me since i got this new pc in april this year.

i have vista premium home edition on an amd athlon 64 bit duocore processor 4000 2.10 gz with 2gb ram. i love this system and vista is not all that bad to get used to (used xp pro at work for years). having 2gb of ram with the 64 bit system with the duocore processor just makes the pc fly! i have had no problems with vista, why does everyone complain about it?

however, often as i move the cursor (logitech optical mouse) on the screen the mouse disappears off the screen. i have to move it around to find it and get it back on the screen. it does not reappear where it was. why does the cursor just abruptly leave the screen. i have tried to make it happen to no avail! but it happens often. any ideas?

tom

Comments (15)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

have you gone to control panel and tried adjusting your mouse settings and speeds? I would start there and mess around with the options. Do you know if you have the latest drivers for that mouse to go with Vista? check the website to see if there are any new drivers or software updates

• TJG911
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i set the mouse speed and click speed when i got the pc.

i assume the drivers are the latest, i bought this from a small shop that builds pcs so i'd expect them to do that.

i just wondered if other vista people had this happen to them. i don't know if it's vista or something else.

tom

• tumblenweed
    15 years ago

Googled cursor disappears. Click link below for results.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google search results

• tumblenweed
    15 years ago

This is a old thread with posters dealing with cursor problems.

Hope it helps you.

Here is a link that might be useful: CNET forum

• TJG911
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks tumblenweed, none of that helped really.

let me restate this.

i am in a mozilla browser window, i only use it not ie. i could be in email or a website.

i move the mouse to go to something on the screen to click on it and i am looking at the screen so i don't see this happen.

i am usually moving left to right, moving upwards to the top right corner of the screen. after i have moved the mouse an appropriate distance i then look to see where it is so i can place it in the right place to click it. it is at this time that i see the mouse is not on the screen. somehow it left the screen. i did not move it far enough to move it off the screen.

i move the mouse back and forth way more than to go from side to side in an attempt to see it move somewhere. then the mouse's pointer will reappear usually at the bottom left on the screen.

any ideas????

tom

• tumblenweed
    15 years ago

Are you saying it only happens with Mozilla?

• TJG911
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well yes BUT i only use mozilla.

i don't think it has happened in say word processing, i use open office. 99% of my time is on the internet using mozilla or in email also using mozilla.

tom

• tumblenweed
    15 years ago

I don't use Mozilla.

On my Toshiba laptop and using the touch pad the cursor disappears from time to time after it sets idle and I wake it from sleep/power saver mode and I leave a web page open.

It does not happen in word or email.

Here is a link that might be useful: Check this out

• owbist
    15 years ago

Tom are you using your mouse with it connected via a USB port? If so you might consider trying a USB/PS2 converter and connect via the PS2 port. In the old days this green adaptor usually came with a USB mouse, you may need to buy one. Or at least borrow one first to confirm this will fix the issue.

Ask whoever built the computer for you, no doubt they have one or 2 laying about the store.

• fruitjarfla
    15 years ago

Also try using a different USB port - switch with another device if there is no open port.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

also try a different mouse to see if it is mouse specific.

• TJG911
    Original Author
    15 years ago

owbist, yes connected via usb port. does the mouse plug into the ps2 connecter thru the usb port on the mouse then to the pc with a usb port on the ps2? i wish i'd seen this earlier, i was just at the pc store to dump mu old pc and i seldom go into that part of that town.

tom

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

tjg911 what Owbist is talking about is a small adapter that plugs onto the usb end of your mouse and converts it so that it can be plugged into the ps2 port on the pc rather than a usb port, virutally making it now a ps2 mouse instead of a usb mouse. One end of the little adapter plug will have the slot to plug the usb mouse into and the other end will have the ps2 plug which will be able to be plugged into your ps2 port.

I have several of those things they come usually free with all wireless mouse and keyboards just in case you should need one.

They are like $3 bucks at Fry's

they look like this
    USB to PS/2 Adapter

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

what you can try if you happen to have an old wired mouse laying around is try that mouse to make sure it is not mouse specific, preferable if your old mouse had a ps2 connection on it rather than a usb connection, that way you could also see if the port type was a possible cause.

• jemdandy
    15 years ago

It is possible that you mouse is getting 'flaky', but first, let's check on something.

In the control panel, click (or double click) on the mouse icon and check its settings. Under 'pointer options', do you find a selection box, Hide the cursor while typing? Try de-selecting this option to see if it makes a difference. If not, return to the original setting.

Mouse options will vary depending on the driver in use. Installing drivers that came with the mouse will add features specific to that mouse and may not be present in the standard drivers supplied by Windows.

If you are using a generic mouse driver, try installing the drivers that came with the mouse.