SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jean001_gw

Slow computer & LuCallBackProxy but Norton not installed --long

jean001
16 years ago

Husband tells me computer has been very slow for a month or more. (Now he tells me!) Today, can't get online.

He regularly uses eBay but I thought I had him brainwashed about not responding to phishing e-mails.

He doesn't use PayPal.

I can't make a restore point. (His computer automatically sets only 1 a month.) Tried to set for July 3, June 16 and May 19-- none successful.

Have run Disk Cleanup. For "compress old files" it lists 521,665K. (Note that he does very little with the computer other than e-mail, eBay, and solitaire.)

Suddenly LuCallBackProxy asked permission to access the internet. (He never purchased Norton after the trial period that came with the computer.)

Currently running Defrag. (But doubt it will help.)

Plan to run online scans.

Phew, after Defrag was complete, had scary error message which said "No IDE fixed drive present." Did hard reboot and am now online running Housecall.

Several questions:

1. Any thoughts about what's wrong *and* how to repair?

2. Why the huge number of old files?

3. Should I go ahead and compress/delete those old files?

4. What about Norton's LuCallBackProxy? Norton isn't active. (I would think I can safely uninstall -- right?)

5. After the problem is solved, how can I "tell" the computer to set multiple restore points in a month? (Or should I just do it manually?)

Compaq Presario 6000

Pentium 4; 1900 Mhz

memory 512

WIN XP

D-Link wireless connection from my computer downstairs.

AVG and Zone Alert installed and up-to-date.

Comments (9)