SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rob63_gw

Building on a lot that will eventually be ours

rob63
15 years ago

When my wife and I build, it was my idea that we build nearer to where we work. But as we were talking about this, we began to consider if we would want to live there after we (hopefully) are able to retire. In other words, if we didn't work there, would it be someplace we would choose to live? Traffic, at least compared to where we live now, is far worse and you have all the complications of a larger city. I can't imagine having to fight traffic just to get a loaf of bread (although now I have to drive six miles to get it!).

Ever since we were married, I have been aware of the fact that when my father-in-law dies, the lot and house he currently lives in will belong to my wife. The house is a piece of crap, but the lot is 110' wide and 150' deep. We have talked about building there, but I'm really not sure. Here is the pro/con list.

PROS

1. The lot would be hers free and clear. There is no mortgage on the house.

2. All the utilities are already there.

3. The lot is flat and has been dug up for various projects over the years, so there is little chance of running into major obstacles during excavation.

4. While older, the area is still a nice part of town. Most people who live there are older people or younger ones waiting to move on to a bigger house.

5. We already own a smaller lot across the street that would be perfect for a single wide mobile home that could be rented out for extra income.

CONS

1. We would actually be a few miles further from work, although given that my FIL is in good health, by the time he dies we might be nearer to retiring anyway.

2. The house and a concrete block single car garage would have to be torn down and a couple of massive maple trees would have to be cut down because they would interfere with where we would site the house.

3. If built there, our house would automatically be the most expensive house in the neighborhood. If the best house there would be put on the market, I doubt it would go for more than $75,000 (although I really have nothing to base that on other than just looking at the homes).

4. As per #3, I wonder how much money the bank would be willing to lend us given the value of most of the homes already there. We will be able to offer a sizable down payment, but I don't want to have to scale back what we want or pay more out of pocket just because the bank won't give us as much as it might if we were to build in a newer neighborhood.

5. While this will be our "forever home" and we have no intention of ever moving from wherever we build, when our time here is no more I want the house to be able to be sold for what it is truly worth. We have no children to leave it to, and I guess once we're dead it won't matter to us, but there's still something gnawing at me in relation to that.

So, given these same circumstances, what do you think you would do?

Thanks

Rob

Comments (17)