SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
notjustastomach

igniter nightmare: rebuild an old Wolf range or buy something ne

notjustastomach
16 years ago

I have a 10-year old Wolf 30" all-gas range, from the first batch of ranges that Wolf produced for the consumer market (before it merged with Sub Zero). The igniters click when the stove is on full heat. And even if we were to get them fixed, they would begin to click again in 6 months.

Recently I got fed up with the annoyance, and decided to purchase a new 30" all-gas range. This presented two problems: First, none of the ranges now available are as aesthetically pleasing as my old Wolf. Second, having read a number of threads on this and other fora, I discovered that almost all "professional" grade ranges have the potential for a clicking problem. It seems that the complaints are the same, no matter whether the brand is Viking, Blue Star, Wolf, Thermidor, etc.

Hence my query . . .

Is my impression (in)correct? Is there a "professional" grade consumer stove that has a reliable ignition system?

Alternately, does anybody have experience with rebuilding a range-top? I am wondering whether it is possible to replace *all* the parts of the stove, from the gas jets on to the grates; and whether this is as good as buying a new stove.

By the way, I appreciate any suggestions that anybody has to offer. But I can only have a 30" all-gas range; no dual fuel, no off-size Agas or La Cornues.

Comments (4)