SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biwako_of_abi

Disturbing - found music and pictures I didn't download

biwako_of_abi
13 years ago

I happened to be looking in the My Music folder to make sure something I had deleted was no longer there, and I found a whole bunch of stuff I never asked for and didn't know was there, like a folder ...Documents and Settings\all users\documents\my videos, taking up 467MB, which contains music by Alaris Morrisette, whoever that is, as well as Robert Randolf, "Dare to Explore," "Extreme Rush," and maybe something else. I've never heard of any of this stuff, but it comes up and gets played in Windows Media Player, which I practically never use. None of these new things are listed in my iTunes library.

There were also 35 MB of "Shared Pictures" and 163MB of "Shared Music"--including things by Rosie Thomas, the Peterson Group, The Shins, and others--again, none of whom I know.

I resent their taking up space in my computer and the fact that they were apparently downloaded to it without my knowledge or consent. I want to get rid of these folders, but they resist deletion.

Can anyone please tell me what is happening and how I can stop it? The extent of my music downloading is to buy a song at iTunes once in a while.

WinXP, media edition / FireFox browser - almost never use IE.

I have been running the computer as administrator, but have broadband and a router between me and the Internet.

Have free Zone Alarm and MSSE for protection and often run Malwarebytes, running Superantispyware about once a week and finding no problems other than adware cookies.

Comments (12)