SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jwvideo

How finicky are Samung induction ranges about pan placement?

jwvideo
11 years ago

This question probably applies to any induction cooking surface but it came up for me while looking at a floor model of the new Samsung NE597N0PBSR 30" freestanding induction range.

I took some pans along to get a sense of cooktop layout for the range.

Here's what I saw. My 12 qt. stockpot on the back burner gets pushed off center by the backsplash. The front side of the pot overhangs an inch or so over the boundary ring of the front burner. The stockpot's base is fine; it completely covers the back 6" burner but does not intrude over the front burner. Please undertstand that I am not asking if the stockpot will work on the small burner. What I am asking about is what happens with front burner when I try to use one of my large frying pans at the same time. These large pans flare out to around 12 inches in diameter. With the stockpot on the back burner, the frying pan gets pushed forward two inches and some. As far as I could tell, the frying pan's 8 1/2 inch base was still within the front burner boundary. I have a couple of other large frying pans with large bases and some of those bases would run outside the boundary of the front burner in this kind of situation.

The manual for this Samsung stove (page 27) seems to say that the front burner will not or might not work with this pan arrangement.

The sales people were utterly clueless, as you might expect in this situation. (The stove is currently only available from Best Buy, the model had only been available for a couple of weeks or so, and etc. etc. etc.)

So two questions for you GW folks:

(a) anybody have an experience with any Samung induction stove (this model or the other two) who can say if the front burner will or will not work in this kind of situation?

(b) anybody with other brands who can say yea or nay for their brand?

No offense to anybody who has Thermador or other "zoneless" drop-in cooktops, but the fact that I am considering a $1500 Samsung freestanding stove should tell you about my budget and why I am asking only about ranges.

Comments (8)