SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
izzbudcan23

Induction range (NOT cooktop!) buying decision

izzbudcan23
2 years ago

If you've purchased an induction range within the last 12-18 months, I'd love to hear your personal experiences and how you feel about your choice. Once you narrow down the market to induction, there are relatively limited options, and reviews and feedback vary so greatly that I'm now more confused than confident! I'm looking for a 30" range, and am flexible about # of burners, one oven v. two, location of controls. I would prefer (I think!) knobs, but maybe that's just me being stuck on the analog experience! Budget is open at this point - the range is the one appliance I'm willing to spend more on, if it's worth it. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Comments (80)

• izzbudcan23
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@spagano, you have the Cafe induction range? Single or double oven?

That's one i'm considering most seriously at this point - based on reviews, reliability, looks and functionality. Might get it in white. It's very backordered but we're not doing the work until the spring b/c of timing, so hopefully it will be here by then!

• spagano
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Oh, I bet the white will be gorgeous! Oh, we have the single oven and the Advantium 240 as our microwave/speed oven.

• Related Discussions

buying Induction Range

Q

Comments (4)
    I love my Kitchen Aid. Had it one year. No issues. Be prepared to purchase all new pots and pans! If a magnet won't stick to the bottom of what you have now, you will need to purchase an entire set. I did get a new set of pots and pans, and love them, but I forgot one thing. I need a baking pan for roasts, so I can bring it out of the oven, and make gravy with the brown bits in the bottom. That's on my list right after the rest of the stuff on that list. Induction friendly pots and pans are not cheap.
    ...See More

Need advice on best induction range to buy

Q

Comments (0)
    I am looking for a new induction range. Had Electrolux non induction slide in for years and was very satisfied. I am now looking for induction slide in electric. Any advice?
    ...See More

if you have a slide-in induction range with warming drawer

Q

Comments (2)
    I really like my Bosch. But if you don’t like the controls, then I guess it’s not for you. But I don’t think that picking the job first is a big deal at all. You get used to it quickly.
    ...See More

Cafe “Modern” induction range vs Profile Induction range

Q

Comments (18)
    @lynne3450 Which one did you ultimately get? If you go t the cafe, would you mind sharing your setup, I am curious as to how it looks in a non-showroom kitchen. I think the price difference is because of the material used and smaller production run. @katj461 There is a comprehensive thread on induction range if you search "induction range" that briefly talks about them. I've heard the kitchenaid takes 30 minutes to preheat because of the large oven size and has a weird control.
    ...See More
  • artsfan
    2 years ago

I have a Frigidaire I bought at the height of the pandemic in March 2020. Could only get a floor model at that time and very glad I grabbed it. Absolutely love it. Given my kitchen has no gas line, I didnt wsnt to suffer with a regular electric range anymore. What an improvement! It’s at least as responsive as gas.

izzbudcan23 thanked artsfan
  • Susan Davis
    2 years ago

Late to the party, but I don’t think you can water bath can on an induction range? My sil has induction tiles on her island wall ovens and a counter top gas burner for canning fruits, etc. correct me if I am wrong?

• MinnesotaMary
    2 years ago

@Susan Davis, you can if you have a stainless steel canner. If it's aluminum, it won't work on induction.

izzbudcan23 thanked MinnesotaMary
  • izzbudcan23
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@artsfan thanks for your input - which Frigidaire model did you buy?

• artsfan
    2 years ago

@izzbudcan23 the Gallery 30” Has controls at the back. Not a slide in but I love cooking on it.

izzbudcan23 thanked artsfan
  • Susan Davis
    2 years ago

You can can on induction, just check with stove manufacturer first?

izzbudcan23 thanked Susan Davis
  • theresa21
    2 years ago

I've had Bosch Flex Induction range for about 3 weeks. I don't miss knobs at all. I got used to using numbers quickly. I love not having to clean around knobs. I was concerned about the biggest hob placement, being set further back. But it's fine and actually better for venting, since it is more centrally located in the middle of the stovetop. I like the individual hob timers. I love that the glass top overlaps the countertop. I love that when I turn the stovetop on, it automatically senses which burner I'm using. And I love that there is room at the far upper right hand corner to store my teapot. I am not sure how Bosch stacks up to the competition, but so far I have no regrets.

izzbudcan23 thanked theresa21
  • spagano
    2 years ago

Regarding limits of induction... So far the only issues I had are JiffyPop and hard boiling eggs which I found a work-around. Eggs in cold water, bring to boil, cover, boil 2 minutes, remove from heat, let sit 11 minutes, uncover, ice bath.

izzbudcan23 thanked spagano
  • MinnesotaMary
    2 years ago

@Susan Davis, no, you need to know if your canner is made of aluminum or stainless steel. No induction will accept aluminum; only stainless or multi-clad products.

• MinnesotaMary
    2 years ago

@theresa21, thanks for the comments on your Bosch. I have their induction cooktops but will be switching out a Bosch electric range for induction range at our vacation home. Your review has me excited!

izzbudcan23 thanked MinnesotaMary
  • JJ Mekai
    2 years ago

@awm03, great information in your post! I hadn't heard of the GE Twin Flex wall ovens and it's just the combination for me. I wasn't clear on which induction range you were discussing though. Is it the Fisher Paykel induction range that you have?

izzbudcan23 thanked JJ Mekai
  • awm03
    2 years ago

JJ Mekai, I got a 30 inch Wolf cooktop, not a range. I didn't specify that because the OP wanted to hear from users who had experience with 30 inch ranges. I thought my criteria from my recent shopping experience would still be helpful, though.

Very happy with the Wolf. No bells & whistles. Steady heat, a good range of temperatures. The controls aren't brainless to use, but aren't overly fussy either. The Twin Flex oven is great: versatile, works well.

izzbudcan23 thanked awm03
  • JJ Mekai
    2 years ago

@awm03, very helpful. Thank you!

• JJ Mekai
    2 years ago

@Holly- Kay, please post a review of your F & P range once you're up and running.

izzbudcan23 thanked JJ Mekai
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

Fun cooking note- if you are trying to melt chocolate you don’t need a double boiler, you just do it on the burner. Amazing.

izzbudcan23 thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • izzbudcan23
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Holly- Kay and others, please do keep the reviews and comments coming: I imagine this thread will be helpful to others in the future, and I'm reading every post with apprecication!!

• Holly- Kay
    2 years ago

@izzbudcan23, will do. Houzz and especially the old gardenweb has been such a huge help to me for years. it will be a pleasure to update with a review.

• Lori Proudfoot
    2 years ago

How is it going with the new induction? I will be buying one, I hope this year. And we are getting a Costco. Hmmm.

• Mojave
    2 years ago

Just ordered the Bosch induction range. I love cooking with gas but I’m so over having to clean around knobs and and the heavy and hard to clean grates. Clean up should be a breeze! I can’t wait! I think it will be at least a month or two before it’s in. I placed my order this weekend to take advantage of the labor day sales and the Bosch rebate going on.

• D J
    2 years ago

I am very curious about updates on induction experiences! We are planning a kitchen remodel and husband is very interested in induction (although I do 90% of cooking). We have a 30In Wolf cooktop. I love the heat and responsiveness but hate the burner configuration. We are thinking of getting an induction range but I am not sure. Most people i know have not had liked induction.

Our current thinking is to get a 30in GE Profile induction range to see how we like induction. If we hate it we would sell it and put the money towards a Wolf 30in gas or duel fuel range. If we love it we could save up for the Wolf induction range.

I love a good cooking experience and am nervous about spending $$$$ on induction when it is unknown. We are definitely getting a Miele CSO and most likely an Advantium if some sort so the range will be my “big” oven. (And finding appliances that we like and look good together is a whole other problem!)

• akrogirl32
    2 years ago

D J, if you are already getting the Miele CSO, take a look at Miele induction range. The controls would be pretty much the same. If possible, visit one of their Experience Centers. Wolf and Bocsh/Thermador/Gaggenau have similar showrooms where you can test out the appliances you are interested in. Well worth the visit if you are unsure about making the jump to induction, and you could make a direct comparison with gas there.

• D J
    2 years ago

The Miele induction range is out of our price range. If I was more confident in induction I would go straight to the world 30in induction range.

• julieste
    2 years ago

We are re-doing the kitchen in a second home we recently purchased. I have a 30" Wolf open burner gas range that I have been very happy with. But, we can't do gas in our second place.

There I am getting a 30" Fisher and Paykal induction range. Right now there is a seller on ebay who has a very good deal on a discontinued model. The oven is a bit small, but I realized I very, very rarely actually use all the capacity in my range anyway. I am getting an Advantium too, and that will be additional oven space if I need it.

izzbudcan23 thanked julieste
  • moosemac
    2 years ago

I have the 36" Bertazzoni Master induction range. It was installed in Nov. 2019. My reason for purchasing were: Knob controls, bridge function and overall simplicity of use. I cook a full dinner everyday for a family of six and we entertain frequently so our range gets a lot of use.

I love this range. It performs better than expected. At first I thought the larger oven was taking longer to preheat than my GE French Door wall oven. Recently I had the opportunity to preheat both ovens to the same temperature at the same time. I did this multiple times over the course of several days. I was surprised but the Bertazonni consistently preheated faster than the GE oven.

The burners can go from holding a bare warm to slow simmer to scorching so are very versatile. I have even melted chocolate without a putting it over boiling water just plopped in the pan and set on low.

The oven bakes evenly and temperatures are accurate and have remained so.

I have had no issues with the range. It works great!

izzbudcan23 thanked moosemac
  • D J
    2 years ago

@moosemac did you use gas before? I am used to gas and my informal poll of friends who have used both was very negative about induction (3 out of 3).

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

"my informal poll of friends who have used both was very negative about induction (3 out of 3)."

There are lots of comments on Houzz of cooks who used to use gas who love induction. Not your friends, obviously, but it's been discussed here often. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/query/induction-vs.-gas

izzbudcan23 thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • Lori Proudfoot
    2 years ago

I've cooked on electric coil, electric glass top, and now gas. Never thought I would hate gas, but I do. I hate having to run the fan. I hate the fact that spoon handles get hot so quickly, I hate how the outside of my pans and the handles of the pots look now after 4 years of gas. I hate that the gas oven definitely has hot spots. I hate the smell. I hate the heavy grills and lifting them away to clean under them. All that is left for me to try is induction. I hope it is not noisy, and I hope I don't break it. I plan to put a cover over it when not cooking. I am looking forward to the speed, I am looking forward to the safety. I am not looking forward to the months it is probably going to take me to get one.

izzbudcan23 thanked Lori Proudfoot
  • DMAC3620
    2 years ago

@Holly- Kay, curious if you have your F&P yet…if so, how do you like it? Thanks!

• Holly- Kay
    2 years ago

Hi DMAC, thank you for asking. I don’t have it yet. Not only am I waiting for my cabinets to be completed (they are on the production floor now) all my appliances with the exception of the dishwasher is at the distribution center. My cabs are tentatively scheduled for install first week in November but I’m well aware that could change.

I’m so excited that the range has arrived but I didn’t want it delivered until everything is there plus my hardwood floors were just completed last week and didn’t want workers banging into new items in my garage.

I’ll post a pic as soon asit is installed.

• JJ Mekai
    2 years ago

@Holly- Kay, thank you for the update. I sure understand everything being delayed. Looking forward to your review when your kitchen is completed.

• Aaron Joseph
    2 years ago

We are working on a kitchen renovation now. Our Wolf induction range is on backorder, so thinking we might pivot to F-P if we can get it sooner. Very curious to hear your impressions when the time comes @Holly- Kay!

• DMAC3620
    2 years ago

Holly- Kay, thanks for letting us know…seems there are a few of us following your progress :) I hear you on the sequencing — bit of a tricky dance! Good luck with all the installation.

• Jean
    2 years ago

I switched to inducation with a GE Profile 30” slide-in range less than 4 months ago. I regret it every day! It’s been nothing but a headache from the start. It was dead on arrival right out of the box. It had to essentially be rebuilt with all new boards. (Service was a nightmare in itself) That’s when I discovered how annoyingly noisy this unit is to use. It emits a high pitched ringing sound whenever a burner is in use. Not a hum … a scream! The heat settings are also very finicky. It boils in no time, but medium heat is essentially ’Low’. Anything set to less than Medium is warm. Finally, the contols are dangerously sensitive. The unit cannot be wiped or brushed against in any way while it’s on without turning the oven or burners on or off. It’s essential to set the control lock on the cooktop after every use. GE is fully aware of all of these issues but refuses to take responsibility for their poor design. If you’re considering an inducation range, steer clear of GE!

• izzbudcan23
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Jean, and all, as the originator of this discussion it's GREAT to see the ongoing dialogue. Like some others, I have yet to place an order but recently got interested in the Blomberg 30" induction range. Here's a link to the currently available model: https://www.baronsmajorbrands.com/products/Blomberg-Appliances/blomb/bir34452ss.html

Anyone else have experience with their ranges? We like their washer/dryer combo (had one in an apartment recently) but haven't bought any ourselves.

• izzbudcan23
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for that feedback, NP! Our kitchen cabinet dealer is coming to measure (re-measure) so we can move forward and actually ORDER cabinets... feels like a huge step! Once that's done, then we're locked in and I'll place orders for appliances. Just this morning I was checking pricing on the Cafe ranges and a few others I've been watching, but it's not too late for me to get more feedback here. Anyone have anything on the Blomberg I asked about a couple of weeks ago? It's still on the "possible" list!

• Holly- Kay
    2 years ago

Cabinet install is still on for mid next week. Hopefully I will have pic of the FP range soon!

izzbudcan23 thanked Holly- Kay
  • Jean
    2 years ago

@N P The noise issue I’m having is coming from the range itself, not the cookware. I have a brand new high quality induction set that came with the range and also use Loge cast iron. The sound is a high pitched shrill whistle. It starts as soon as the burner is turned on with any kind of pot on it. Since you don’t seem to be having this issue (thankfully!) I’m curious to know whether you have LED lights in your kitchen and if so, are they on a dimmer switch? Also, if you were to gently wipe the control panel screen on the front of your range while the cooktop is in use (if something dripped for example) would it turn the overn on or change any settings currently in use? Thanks. Jean

• mbrobie
    2 years ago

@izzbudcan23 I am considering that same Blomberg induction range. Did you end up purchasing? Would appreciate any feedback you might have.

• izzbudcan23
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@mbrobie so here's the update: after LOTS of looking and thinking about it, and considering my budget as well, i decided to go with radiant (smoothtop but "traditional" heat source) from GE. this won't be my last range, i'm guessing, and at this time induction is SO much more expensive, it just didn't seem worth the upcharge. that said, my standards are probably low, because i currently churn out lots of great food from my COIL electric stove, at least 25 years old!

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

"because i currently churn out lots of great food from my COIL electric stove, at least 25 years old!"

Oh I much preferred a coil to a radiant glass stove. Actually, when mine broke I replaced it with a coil one until I bought induction!

• izzbudcan23
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Toronto Veterinarian i hear you! but i also absolutely had to have a convection oven this time, so that was that. over the years, i've cooked on radiant glass and i know i can get used to it, as i've gotten used to solid-element and gas in the past. for me, in the end, my consolation is that it's about figuring out how to work with your equipment, whatever that is. maybe induction will happen the next time around. meanwhile, my new stove is arriving ahead of the project and b/c it's electric, i plan to pull out the old one and start cooking on the new one right away. yay!

• mbrobie
    2 years ago

Thanks @izzbudcan23 - I think we may go with the Blomberg induction range after all. I've eliminated many brands due to quality concerns, need a range ASAP (our's died) and have heard good reports about their quality. (Fingers crossed). Will report back here with thoughts/feedback if we go this route.

Enjoy your new range!

• izzbudcan23
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@mbrobie i really liked the blomberg - if we had stayed on the induction track, that was my first choice, for the reasons you noted!

• julieste
    2 years ago

I just thought I would add my thoughts here even though the OP has now decided against induction. We recently installed a Fisher & Paykel induction that I bought through an e-bay seller I found about through this forum. They are an authorized vendor for this brand and other upscale lines. They sell open box and discontinued models. I bought a discontinued model 30". https://www.ebay.com/str/lqdllc

We have had it installed for about a month now, and for the most part I like it. The oven cavity is smaller than other brands, but it hasn't bothered me at all thus far. (There are only two of us though.) The racks glide very smoothly, so smoothly they could almost come out on their own.

The burners work easily, and I like having the knobs rather than a touch type mechanism. I think my only concern (which isn't a major one) so far is that the largest burner is on the right rear. Once or twice I have thought that perhaps it isn't the best location because if one wants to use a really large pan it would bump into the range's low height backsplash. But, I just used a large cast iron, enamel, oval roasting pan on that burner and it performed just fine. This is my first induction range, and I adapted to it easily. In fact, I have no idea what people are talking about when they say there is a learning curve to induction.

izzbudcan23 thanked julieste
  • Emily and Chiara
    last year

@mbrobie I'm looking into the Blomberg just now - Did you end up getting it? how has it been?

• mimimetzger
    last year
    last modified: last year

Does anyone have any experience with the Fulgor Milano Sofia induction range? I am curious about the noise level, ease of use, reliability, and whether the surface top is scratch resistant. I am considering the 48 inch model, so that I can have double ovens. Wall ovens are not working with our remodel design. There are very few options for induction in the 48 inch size. Thank you for any input.

https://www.fulgor-milano.com/us/en/product/sofia-48-pro-induction-range-all-glass

• dan1888
    last year

If that isn't the choice you think works, a 30" Bosch and putting a Miele CSO undercounter would give a versatile option you might use most of the time.