SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcran_gw

BS or CC Gas Range (or Rangetop) vs Induction

MCran
10 years ago

I'm remodeling a 100 year old Midwestern Foursquare and I'd like to put in a "chef's kitchen". I'm not a pro at all but a good cook who is ready for the next level. The house was less than 6 figures, and though it is only 1500 sq. ft., it is one of those Sears Catalog homes and has lovely maple floors and original wood windows and trim. The kitchen was added later and done poorly. We will be going with QS oak inset cabs and slate counters, going for the Craftsman aesthetic. This won't be cheap, but it's cheaper here than most places. Local craftsmen do a good job for very reasonable rates.

I can't decide on a 36" Bluestar or Capital Culinarian range, a rangetop with a cheaper electric oven, or a good all-induction range. I know people love their CC and BS, but I'm scared by those who have issues. Service may be hard to come by (I'm in the boonies). I want 3 main features: great wok cooking, a great charbroiler, and good control of very high but also simmering heat. I already have an outdoor wok unit that's not pretty but is good (though not great).

A 36" full range will be $7-8000 and will look great - the centerpiece of the best cook's kitchen in town. That's huge overkill unless it delivers 100% satisfaction. Plus, the range hood requirements are expensive. I don't even need the features of a high end oven - I'm more of a "fast and hot" type of cook. That leads me to my next option.

A 36" BS or CC rangetop with a separate, cheaper electric oven, about $5-6000 total. Most complaints from BS and CC owners are oven-related. I don't have a great spot in my kitchen for a wall oven, but it would work.

Or, go "cheap" with an all-induction range (probably Electrolux) at $2-3000, plus the savings on the hood. I'd still have good burner control, good searing, and maybe passable wok heating. i could Spend my extra money on a good outdoor grill and new outdoor wok. I could throw in a smoker and still be less than a CC. But it's really cold here for 4-5 months, and it might be a few years before the backyard gets the facelift necessary to properly entertain out there. Plus, there's no good passageway between kitchen and patio, and there never will be.

So, what would you do? i want a great cooking kitchen, but I can't dump $35000 into a kitchen and expect to get even half of it back at resale, this is the Midwest. Are the high-end tools really worth it? I know they won't be if they become a repairman's dream. Can I do most techniques on an induction range, then go outside when I need big fire?

Thank you so much for your help.. Sorry for the length.

M

Comments (6)