SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lazidazi

Curbless Shower.No Barrier Walls = ???s

lazidazi
11 years ago

Greetings!

I've read thru this great Forum, finding much helpful info, and want to see if ya'll will offer me guidance for doing this shower:

Old house, 30" crawlspace, 2"x8" true dimension joists; currently 3/4" t&g pine floors, walls, ceiling.

Using interior, corner walls for Shower [in 8.5' x 9.5' room, 9' ceilings]. Curbless, with no additional barrier walls. Plan to lower shower pan 2"+ below floor grade [& will be sure to properly engineer joist modifications]. Approximate shower size will be 36" x 48".

Plan to use penny mosaic tile for shower floor, 12" ceramic tile on entire bath floor, and...corrugated steel panels on shower walls. [To seal steel panels against water oxidation/calcium, and tile, I plan to use Miracle 511 Impregnator.]

I also plan to put the shower valve & nozzle extension pipe on the outside of the wall/corrugated panels [I'm going for the "industrial" look].

Because shower is curbless, I thot it would be helpful to slope the entire bath floor [1/4" per foot] to the shower.

And to have shower pan be sloped 3/8" per foot.

1. What is the best substrate to use behind corrugated shower panels? Sheetrock with RedGuard? Wedi backerboard w/no sealant? DensShield, taped joints, then Kiesel liquid waterproofing? Kerdi board? or... 30# felt over studs, then Durock, then the panels?

2. RE Shower Pan: I'd rather not do a mud pan. If I use a preformed pan, it'll have to be cut - either length or width, in which case I will trowel fast-setting thinset to modify the slope because of the cut, AND to add a 3/8" slope.

2a. Do most of you recommend Kerdi pan and Kerdi drain? What other preformed pans [besides Kerdi] are good, when used w/Kerdi drain?

3. What is the best substrate application for the entire bath floor [to be tiled]? Durock, taped joints, then sealant? Ditra w/Kerdi strips? Other - ?

Hoping for Help! Many thanks in advance.

KrS

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022