SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samtom_gw

Dell Dimesion 4700 gone weird

samtom_gw
12 years ago

Hi Folks,

Back with a bigger issue for my other machine.

The last couple of times I've booted the Dell Dimension 4700 about 2005 vintage I've heard a high pitched "whine" and I had a black screen with white letters which said, "select 'F2' or 'F12'". When I clicked on "F2" the whine disappeared as it took me to Setup. I exited from there and it continued to boot and all appeared normal.

This machine has the original XP and RAM has been expanded to 2 GB. Yesterday, I attempted a Malwarebytes scan. It ran over 40,000 files in less than 2 minute, and then took over 2 hours to get up over the 50,000 files level. I accidentally laid some papers on the space bar with a bit too much weight and it aborted the scan. But, nothing had been found.

This morning, the HP Laser printer would not function. So, I shut it down and rebooted. The print job completed.

However, when I attempted to open a browser window by clicking on a desk-top icon, all the icons went to blinking.

I ran an anti-virus scan via Zone Alarm which came up clear - nothing found.

I could not do anything via FireFox. When I click on an icon, they all start flickering.

I tried Safari browser and it works fine. I uninstalled FireFox 3.6 and re-downloaded it. However, at this point, I can not install it. When I click on the add program button in the Control Panel, the icons begin to flicker again.

After uninstalling FF, I shut the machine down and upon rebooting, had the whining noise and the F2 & F12 options. Again, I selected the F2 to get rid of the noise, exited F2 and resumed booting. Still. I cannot reinstall FF.

I'm currently using my 2000 machine which has Win 2K Pro as the operating system.

I'm open to any and all suggestions short of scraping the beast and getting a new one. Unfortunately, there are budgetary restraints right now.

Many thanks,

Tom

Comments (4)

• DA_Mccoy
    12 years ago

If you can I ask you to take the time to backup everything on the system that is important to you. I remember what may be the same "electronic" whine you mention on my old P2. In my case it was intermittent at startup just before the H/D failed for good.

Also since the desktop system is circa 2005, has the case ever been opened and cleaned?

DA

• samtom_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

DA,

The back-up is in progress as I type this. We up-dated RAM about a year ago, so it got a good cleaning then. Probably should get another one, right after the back-up is complete.

Thanks for the feedback,

Tom

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

I agree with DA those whining sounds and symptoms usually indicate a Hard Drive in trouble. You could look up the manufacturer and see if they have some hard drive health tests you can run. I would also try running a belarc if you can get it to install.
    Belarc Advisor

If it is the hard drive you could of course get a new hard drive with the same connection type and just replace it and re-install windows on it or a version of linux which is free.

• grandms
    12 years ago

If you are doing an "image" or "clone" backup, that will include the OS as well as all your installed programs, updates, and document (pictures, music, etc.). Then if the hard drive is indeed failing, you can purchase a new one, not expensive at all now, install it, and use the clone to reinstall your entire computer with everything just as it is right now. There are several free programs that will make this type of backup for you if you can get one to install. This will save you a ton of work bringing everything up to date since XP has been around long enough that there are a ton of updates.

I have used this one and find the GUI very easy to follow:

Here is a link that might be useful: EASEUS ToDo Backup Free

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals