SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peter_nj

Electrolux refrigerator ice maker - has the problem been fixed?

peter_nj
13 years ago

I'm interested in buying the Electrolux Icon French-door refrigerator (Model # E23BC78IPS, which is mechanically identical to the regular Electrolux non-Icon model EW23BC71IS). But I'm concerned because two separate appliance salesmen and two separate stores have told me the exact same story, using the same words, which goes something like this:

"Electrolux is a really great brand. You see, when they were having problems with the ice maker, they took really good care of their customers, and promptly fixed the problem. And it wasn't really a 'problem', per se. The problem, you see, was that the machine was just too good - too sophisticated - at responding to power dips, so when the compressor increased power, the machine concluded that there was no power for the separate ice-maker compressor and turned it off, causing all the ice to melt."

Given that two separate salesmen at unrelated stores 10 miles apart told me this story, it's obvious that this is some sort of Electrolux talking point that the regional Electrolux rep told them to say. But I can't quite figure out what they're talking about.

Does anyone know if the models I mentioned above actually have a problem of the ice maker melting all of the ice? Does this problem occur in the current models, or do those model numbers represent fixes of this problem over some prior generation of Electrolux? Does it depend on the date of manufacture (if so, when did they fix the problem)? Or does Electrolux's awareness of the problem mean that they'll come and retrofit your machine if necessary, but the out-of-box experience is still a broken ice maker?

I certainly have some reverence for the three-year-long thread attached to the bottom of this post. But that thread seems to have veered off into other problems.

The bottom line is: If I buy a E23BC78IPS, can I assume that some ice maker problem of yore no longer exists, and it's as likely to be a lemon (or not) as any other major brand of refrigerator? Or are the salesmen just practicing damage control about some problem that Electrolux still hasn't figured out fix?

Here is a link that might be useful: Electrolux Icon Refrigerator Temperature Problem

Comments (12)