SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Which web photo hosting service- mulltiple purposes

lynnalexandra
14 years ago

Thanks to this forum, I am getting more daring with technology. I have just gotten my sister a Ziga DF800 wireless digital picture frame. She's lost as to how to retrieve, store, access her digital photos - so I wanted to jump on this opportunity while she still has one teenager left at home who can set it all up for her. I picked Ziga because it has very good picture quality, 1 GB storage, accepts multiple camera cards and has wireless - WITH FRAMECHANNEL. Now Framechannel seems to be an awesome free service that allows you to get pictures from Flickr, Facebook, Photobucket, Picasa and several other picture hosts - and is supposed to have great options for 400 channels of RSS feeds (now I haven't gotten that far yet, but my nephew might). I will probably also get a Ziga for my husband for father's day. He thought these frames were ridiculous until he saw how nice the Sony was that I got my mother in April (She couldn't/wouldn't use the wireless feature, but we would.)

Framechannel and the Ziga frame seemed to offer the best quality and flexibility for future developments. I don't believe they get pictures from Imageshack yet (or snipshot). They do keep developing. If anyone's curious, here's a link to framechannel: http://www.wirelesspictureframe.com/what-is-framechannel/

I also just discovered that my Tivo can download my web-hosted pictures from Photobucket or Picasa.

I have a Photobucket account that I set up in 2005 just to take and post pictures of my kitchen on the kitchen forum (and a couple of cooked meals on the cooking forum). Since then, I haven't used it (but I did just update it, make it private and block users as Raven suggested on another thread). I have maybe 60 pictures on it - so I'm not invested in Photobucket, per se - although it was cool to see my kitchen pictures on my LCD tv. I can imagine showing folks pictures this way - esp. when the grandparents come to visit.

So now I'm about to get on top of my digital pictures, I'd like to pick one hosting service that will meet all my needs. I don't think I want to get involved in hosting pictures in different places. Although if there's any reason to consider that, please enlighten me.

So - Framechannel can be used with Photobucket, Flickr,facebook, webshots and Picasa. Is one of these better than another? Or better for some purposes and not others? For now, it seems that Photobucket and Picasa are the only ones that I can download with Tivo to my television. Both work with Framechannel. I don't have a Picasa Web account, but I do have a fair number of pictures organized with Picasa. Like with Photobucket, I never really got far with this so I'm not invested in it being Picasa.

The last thing I want to be able to do it post on forums. I know I can do that with Photobucket - not sure about the rest.

Although Ravencajun has spoken highly of Imageshack, it doesn't seem to be accessible with Tivo or the Ziga digital frame.

Any guidance in thinking this through is appreciated.

Thanks.

Lynn.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!