SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ravencajun

Tips and Tricks

Everyone feel free to add yours!

I love to learn new tricks. Here are a few you may or may not know.

Also if you have some really awesome firefox extension add-ons you want to share go for it. I have a lot I love to use.

I have another great tip for firefox users, when you come across a link here or anywhere that is NOT clickable try this, highlight that link then grab it and drag it to an open spot on the tab bar of firefox, it will open that link in a new tab.

On a clickable link to make it open in a new tab click on it with the middle mouse wheel, it opens in a new tab instead of the page you were on.

Also with the middle click on the mouse if you do that on any open tab it will close the tab.

And if you middle-click on the empty space in the tab bar, itÂll open the most recently closed tab, which is helpful if you want to go back quickly.

Ctrl+F brings up a search at the bottom of the page that allows you to search webpages.

the "/" (slash) if you hit that once anywhere on a page will bring up a simplified version, a quick find just click anywhere on it to make it go away.

hitting F6 takes you right to the top URL address bar on the browser.

CTRL+SHIFT+T: Lets say you had 20 tabs and you closed 19 of them. If you want to see those tabs again, keep pressing Ctrl+Shift+t and all the tabs will appear one by one in the same order that you closed them. It works infinitely. So, you never lose any sites you visit in case you want to go back and see it again.

PS those with IE can try them some do work in IE too.

You can use Control+Shift+Delete to pop up the Clear Private Data instead of having to go up to tools.

I will do a list of my fave must have firefox add ons later.

so who has some great tips and tricks??

Comments (77)

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

I know about the quicklaunch, but don't find it nearly as handy as having a toolbar along the side. On my computer, the quicklaunch only shows three icons unless I click the >> but I have 14 icons on the toolbar and am not even halfway down the screen. I guess it boils down to personal preference.

For those who didn't understand the Linux poster's comments about the different desktops, most linux distributions with windowing systems have had the option for a number of years of having multiple desktops.

Windows actually has that option now, also. I know of two ways to get that in Windows.

Virtuawin is an open source project that gives you this capability.

XP Powertoys also gives it to you.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sorry I did not realize that the shot I posted from off of image shack was going to be full size I thought I had grabbed a smaller one. I hate that we can not go back and edit posts to fix stuff like that.

I am not having to scroll of course but I know some will.
    Next time I need to look closer at which link I grab.

Stargazer love that brilliant wallpaper.
    I change mine all the time there are just so many super pics out there to choose from.

• Related Discussions

New Format Tips and Tricks

Q

Comments (40)
    Jasdip and Murraysmom, there's a bit of a fix you can do for the thread issue. If you sort by the middle display option (there's no name for it that I can tell, so sorry for the vague description) it shows the thread and the last person who posted in it, what they posted and how long ago it was posted. That helps a bit knowing if you've read it or not. My picture in my very first post shows you where to look for it. It's located on the main KT page with all the thread titles on it. Hopefully they will add something to tell us when it's been read but this is working for me in the meantime.
    ...See More

tips and tricks

Q

Comments (4)
    NICE! I love good gardening tips. My favorite one is to save the "handles" off the plastic walmart bags. They make great ties for staking plants. They don't attract heat, you get a ton of them with every trip to walmart or any grocery store, and they expand as the plant grows. (and they are free..which is my kind of deal....)
    ...See More

tips and tricks for growing in the north

Q

Comments (1)
    Congrats on your lovely new plants! You made a great choice, Jungle Jack's plants are almost always FANTASTIC! Sounds like you've done some great research and have a lot of the basics down. They don't like soggy soils so when you go to repot (probably next season) you'll want to have a very well draining mix (many use potting soil and LOTS of perlite for example), a pot with good drainage holes and no saucers / no sitting in water. I don't think there's much you can do for the outside humidity levels unfortunately, but I'm sure your plants will be just fine with whatever humidity you've got. Bring your plants inside when the nighttime temps are about 50 or below. For me here in Texas that is sometime in November but of course yours is probably different. They need to be somewhere at least partially insulated, so inside your house or your garage if at least partially insulated will work. You can decide if you'd like to keep them going over the winter or if you'd like to let them go dormant. If you let them go dormant you don't need to give them any light and just check on them every couple of weeks or every month, maybe give a SMALL sip of water & just let them rest. If in the garage it's a good idea to keep them from sitting directly on the concrete, maybe put down a piece of cardboard or keep on something else to keep them from sitting on the cold concrete. If you'd like to keep them going over winter then you would probably want a grow light since in the PNW (or most places really) I don't think you'll get adequate enough window light & they may start to stretch for the light. There are some really affordable options out there especially if you only need to light 2 plants. If your house stays above about 65 degrees I don't think a heat mat is necessary but if you want to put them on one it wouldn't hurt anything. Just watch the watering if you're keeping them in a cool house. Just my two cents, I'm sure others have some advice for you also. Good luck & please keep us updated on your progress! Emily
    ...See More

Osmanthus Fragrans indoors - tips & tricks

Q

Comments (0)
    This is my favorite plant. I have it in a nice bank if windows where it gets sun most of the day. From the east, south and south west. I bought it from Lyman Estate Greenhouse in Waltham, MA where they grew it from seed. As you can see the leaf tips are brown, not sure what this means? I'd love to hear any tips or tricks to keeping this guy healthy as an indoor plant. The flowers fill our house with the most beautiful fragrance. I want to get this plant strong and full between now and fall when it starts flowering again.
    ...See More
  • jean_mi_z5
    15 years ago

Raven, can you go into image shack and resize the pic of your wallpaper? I don't use image shack, but you can resize in photobucket.

• DA_Mccoy
    15 years ago

By design Windows will only display three icons on the Quick Launch with other entries showing on the disappearing menu. There is a "tweak" utility with a feature that allowed an expansion of the viewed icons. For the life of me I can't remember the name right now.

DA

• bob414
    15 years ago

You can show more icons on quick launch by unlocking (if it's locked) the taskbar, putting your cursor on the vertical dotted lines you will see to the right of the arrows, and click and drag it right to show as many icons as you want.

• owbist
    15 years ago

I have all my quick launch icons showing as Bob414 suggests but I also dragged my taskbar up to double height so all my open windows show along the bottom of the task bar under those icons. I also keep my 'Desktop' toolbar next to the clock with all my icons of lesser importance, these are easily accessible by clicking on the small double chevrons.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jean I had not thought of checking image shack for that but unfortunately the only option I had was to rotate it or delete it so I just deleted it so it would go bye bye and fix our thread back to normal again.
    so if you refresh the page the image should no longer be there and all should be back to normal.

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

Raven, I have a very large number of bmps in windows with the computers wallpaper. I also change often.

• DA_Mccoy
    15 years ago

Bob,

How did you ever see those double dots? Never saw them, still don't see them. I followed your instructions and it was only when the cursor passed over the area as you described and a double-headed arrow appear that I tried dragging. It worked. Always amazing how even after all these years I can still learn something new.

DA

• bob414
    15 years ago

I guess it's a monitor thing. They're not exactly prominent but I can see them (with my computer glasses on). I learn something new every day on this forum. Usually just lurk but sometimes I chime in when I'm pretty sure I won't be giving bad advice.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

since we were talking about wallpaper and backgrounds, this might be of interest.
    Windows only: Freeware application John's Background Switcher automatically switches your desktop wallpaper at regular intervals using photos from your desktop or from online photo services, ranging from Flickr to Picasa to Yahoo image search.
    the new version can embed a calendar on your desktop over the switchable wallpaper, apply effects to the photos, or limit photos you use to landscape mode so you've always got wide photos. John's Background Switcher is freeware, Windows only.
    John's Background Switcher
    MakeUseOf

And if you are ever looking for some really nice pictures to add to your pictures folder check out the digital imaging gallery over at dslreports these are all done by people there on the forums and some are simply incredible, plus when you select the picture there is an option as to which size to get so you can get just the right size for your monitor resolution.
    The link is below

Here is a link that might be useful: gallery

• cboy
    15 years ago

Stargazzer
    I liked the picture of your wallpaper. I capture ever picture
    I like and I added yours to my photos.

• owbist
    15 years ago

DA those double dots Bob414 refers to only appear on my screen when I unlock the toolbars. Perhaps that could be the case on yours? Locking the toolbars causes the dots on both ends of my taskbar to vanish.

• DA_Mccoy
    15 years ago

Though I was able to make an adjustment last night I didn't see them.. I didn't see them this morning. Then I thought I would try something extra. I closed the blinds and turned off the roomlights. Voilá

The little buggers are two vertical bars of five dots each. They are there and appear and disappear with the lock option on the Taskbar dropdown menu. They sure blend in with a Vista Taskbar.

DA

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

they are hard to see in windows and yep only there when the bar is on unlock, the ones on my linux box are much brighter but only show up as you mouse over them, I like that better.

In case anyone did not happen to know this you can add a url/address bar to your bottom task bar too, which is pretty neat, you do not have to open a browser by clicking it to open , just type your address into the one down in the task bar and it will pop right on up to that page.
    To get it, just right click anywhere on a clear blue spot on the task bar in the menu box, put your cursor on toolbars then click on address. While on that box you can view the various types of toolbars available to you. IF you only see address on the task bar, unlock it and drag that address area out by grabbing those little dots, soon the type in box will appear.
    I also like the links toolbar, I put links to many of my sites I visit daily in there so that with one click I have access to them all down in my taskbar.

Here are a couple of really good links with picture tutorials about taskbar options
    taskbar info

this one has 42 tips on using and changing the start menu, taskbar and toolbars, great tips.
    start menu, taskbar, toolbar tips

Another great toolbar to add to your taskbar is the desktop toolbar, this one will let you view every icon that you currently have on your desktop without having to actually go to the desktop which is a big time saver. when you click on the desktop toolbar it pops up a box with all your desktop shortucts. Here is a link on how to add this to your taskbar.
    desktop toolbar

Also if you have say one folder you are always accessing, you can make that folder into a toolbar and add it to the taskbar also. I have one for my pictures folder and my music folder for example, to do that when you right click on a clear spot on the taskbar in the pop up box choose toolbars, new toolbar, when you select it a pop up box of your explorer tree will open simply go to the folder you want select it click ok and it will now appear down on your taskbar.

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

Raven, here is another one. I tile this one because it is so small.

• zep516
    15 years ago

One of mine desktops.

{{gwi:1473157}}

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

That's neat. One of my favorites is the Firefox logo.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ubuntu with Beryl/Compbiz? looks very nice and clean.

I just happened to find this picture today and had to change my Mepis linux wallpaper to it, I swear I may try to just step through the monitor on to that beach. It just screams summer.

It should be a thumbnail to click this time!

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

Here's another I like. Let me know if I am doing this to much.

• DA_Mccoy
    15 years ago

Just so members know, for those who are still on DUN this thread is getting hard to read due to the intense graphics. It took forever at home this morning and now here at work with the T-1 it still took a while. Part of the responsibility could be iVillage's servers. I for one think they are sub-par.

Do what you wish. I just thought I would share.

DA

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

Raven you always have the best links. I just tried the Desktop tool bar. That should be handy. I tried expanding my regular taskbar but it won't show the other hidden icons. I still have to click on the arrows. I hate unlocking it because I've had trouble with it shooting somewhere on the desktop and was a pain to get back in place.

Great tips everyone!

Thanks
    Jane

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lyban this is the thread with the tips

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

Okay, Dave I will quit.

• caroline1947
    15 years ago

OK,,,how do you do this QUICK lAUNCH thing??? I would like an un cluttered desktop as well....

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

there are 2 things you can do with the bottom taskbar you can set your icons on quick launch or you can just add the desktop tool bar that lets you view all the desktop items with out going to the desk top.

Right click on any blank blue space on the task bar then click lock tool bar to remove the check mark which will then unlock it. Right click blue again choose toolbars and the arrow to the side shows you the options click desktop, that will add a new button to your taskbar that when you click it you can view all the items on your desktop in a list.
    For quick launch while task bar is unlocked make sure you have quick launch selected in that list, then simply drag your icons from your desktop down to the taskbar next to the start button.
    taskbar info

if you click this link it tells you exactly how to do the quick launch.
    Open the Folder Containing Quick Launch Shortcuts

BE SURE ONCE YOU ARE DONE YOU GO BACK AND LOCK THE TASKBAR AGAIN BY PUTTING THE CHECK MARK IN FRONT OF IT.

• urlee
    15 years ago

MY concoction of TABS using IE.

{{gwi:1479586}}

For those of you wondering what the vertical bars of dots look like, you can see them here on the graphic below.

{{gwi:1479587}}

Urlee

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

woowee good work Urlee!!! tutorials are looking good!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Copy as HTML Link 1.1

I just discovered a new to me firefox add-on which I am loving.
    You visit a website that you want to link to and be able to do that here in the required html format, with this add on you simply highlight anything on that website then right click on it and select copy as html link and then you come back to your reply box or where ever you wanted to paste that info and hit paste, voila you now have an html clickable link to that page.

• coppertop367
    15 years ago

Love the tips on here. Got any for using Windows Movie Maker?

• owbist
    15 years ago

The best way to find tutorials written in a style you are comfortable with is to use the link below and look at a few, bookmarking any you feel comfortable with. All tutorials are not written for all people as we all write and study differently.

Here is a link that might be useful: Windows Movie tutorials

• coppertop367
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

here you go mago I found it!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

changing the firefox chrome. The chrome is the part at the top where all your toolbars are located, you can change it up and customize it however you like.
    This is a thumbnail of what my firefox chrome looks like,
    {{gwi:1479588}}
    click to enlarge

I wanted it to be more compact so I totally got rid of the middle navigation toolbar by moving all the stuff that was normally on that toolbar up to the top menu bar, then below that I have my bookmarks toolbar for all my sites I use a lot. Then just below that is where the open tabs show.

To do any type of changing of your chrome just go to View, toolbars, then click customize, that will cause a customize box to open, in there you can select to use small icons which will help save space, anything that is on your toolbars that you do not need or want there you can just drag right off of the toolbar and into that customize box, if you ever want it back or for that matter want anything that is in the customize box just drag it from the box onto your toolbar where you want it to be located.

To move your URL Address bar up to the top, put your cursor on it at the left corner and when it turns to a little hand drag it and drop it to where you want it.

I moved my forward and back arrows to the top menu bar in front of File because I am used to them being there, but since I don't use the refresh button too often I put it over after Help. I never use the stop button so I just dragged it to the customize box and off the tool bar.

When you are done moving stuff around and have it as you want it simply hit done on the customize box and it will go away and lock your toolbars in place.

IF you happen to be one that does not use a bookmarks toolbar you can eliminate it completely also by clicking view, toolbars and uncheck it.
    That can get you down to only one line toolbar.
    I can not do without my bookmarks toolbar though.

• pfmastin
    15 years ago

I'd like to download the Colorful Tabs because I have a heck of a time keeping up with all those gray tabs. My Firefox version is 2.0.0.16. Can I use any colorful tabs version that says it works with 2.0 - 2.0.0*?

I'm dying to download a new theme...if I do and something goes wrong, how do I get back to the default?
    TIA
    Pam

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

themes are exactly like the add-ons, it will have the list of them under tools add-ons then themes, you just choose the one you want from the list and you can switch back and forth any time. Go for it. I love the Noia 2.0 extreme, your default one is always there to go back to.

I use colorfultabs and yes if it says it supports your version of firefox it should work, I have 2.0.0.16 on this pc and use colorfultabs with no problem. once you install any thing new it will tell you that you have to shut down firfox and restart for them to go into effect.

• lynnalexandra
    15 years ago

I've been playing around with Firefox themes. I have colorful tabs and tried Noia 2.0 Extreme - but it's very hard to read the tabs. It's as though the Noia skin goes on top of colorful tabs and makes it tough to read - except the tab that's currently in the window. There's probably a way to adjust this, but I can't find it. Raven - can you see your colorful tabs clearly?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yes Lynn I see them perfectly as I did before I put Noia on as my theme, if you look up above in this thread I posted a thumbnail photo you can click on of the view of my firefox which shows my tabs also, once you click it here then if you click it again when it opens it will go to full size.
    I don't know why it would make yours look differently.

by the way nice to see this thread again we had a lot of good stuff in here.

• lynnalexandra
    15 years ago

I guess it's my eyesight. I don't like how dim the letters are in the colored tabs that aren't the one that's highlighted. Your picture above looked just like what I get - but too me the letters don't stand out enough. I dimly thought I'd seen something about being able to adjust those things with Noia - but I can't locate it.

I love this thread too and look forward to even more tips.

• camp56
    15 years ago

My favorite Firefox addons -
    NoScript - blocks Scripts unless you allow them
    Adblock Plus - blocks annoying ads
    Cooliris - Let's you preview web pages without actually clicking on the link.
    IE tab - Let's you view websites in Firefox that normally only work in IE
    All available at Ravencajun's link above.

• lynnalexandra
    15 years ago

I have the latest firefox (3.03? - I actually don't know how to find out which version - but it is the latest). Some of the great addons that Ravencajun recommended in the second post are not compatible with this latest firefox. I wonder if anyone knows a similar addon that works with the latest firefox for:

textmarker - sounds great - is there an equivalent for ff 3.03?

autocomplete manager - the author is working on a new version but is busy working on his dissertation. Is there a similarly-functioning addon?

bookmarks scrollbar (really handy to scroll bookmarks if you're on a laptop without a mouse - either touchpad or little thinkpad stick).

In general, I wonder if there's a way to get the scroll feature as an addon.

AND A TIP - firefox addon theme (AEON CLOUDS) - very pretty theme - works great with colorful tabs - they show up clearly.

I guess that's it for now. As I learn more, I will post back with solid tips -and not just questions.

Lynn.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lynn there is actually an add on that you can add to your firefox which usually will make those other add ons work with the new FF versions (sometimes). I personally have never used it but see a lot of people on the security forums that do and really like it, you might look at it, can always remove it if you don't care for it.
    MR Tech Toolkit

you might look at this one for a hilight marker option?
    Book Text Mark 1.1.0

• lynnalexandra
    15 years ago

Thanks, Ravencajun.

I have a tip to add. It's probably obvious for lots of folks, but I'm utilizing the firefox bookmarks and tags feature to shop for people's holiday gifts. (This is so much better than my old way of either writing it down on paper - or emailing myself links to every item I want to remember as a possible gift).

I bookmark each item I want to remember. )n the address bar, double click the star. That brings up a menu. I go to folders and select new folder (or create folder). I create a folder named "gifts." Then for tags, I can put down the person's name if I have somebody in mind. Or I can put down adult woman, man, girl, neices, or list whichever people I think this might be a good gift for.

Then later, when I'm ready to make selections, I can go to the Bookmarks menu. (This is where I'm a little fuzzy.) I'm going to new tags.

I think you can go to Bookmarks - Organize Bookmarks - View - Sort - then select tags (to sort by tags).

I guess it's a bit premature for me to add this tip, since I'm not totally solid on it. But I put it here anyway bc. I think it will help some people - and I'm so excited to have figured out anything that wasn't already posted here.

Thanks, everyone, for helping me learn so much.
    Lynn.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lynn I think this also works in FF3 you can give it a try, if you go to your url bar and just type in the word you posted as the tag it should automatically open that website.
    For example if you go to google and hit the star to save to bookmarks then double clik to be able to do your specific folder and in the tags put G then save it, then go to your url bar and just type G then enter and it should take you to google. I have read on several tip sites about how to do it and viewed some videos too but never remember to do it.
    Well it does work on my linux firefox and I don't even have FF3 on here so I guess that works on FF2 also, type in whatever you put as your tag or keyword and it takes you to the site.

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Ravencajun, thank you for your tips. I've picked up a bunch from you in the last week. I hadn't logged on to this forum in a long time.

Ad Block was the only Firefox add on I was using. I am loving colorful tabs though using tabs at all is new for me.

I have always used the Quick Launch toolbar. Love a clean desktop so that my Webshots photos aren't cluttered up. I love Webshots, I've downloaded hundreds of their professional photos from the gallery. My wallpaper and screensaver changes automatically and I can upload my own photos to it as well as using theirs.

Using your screen shot of your desktop and instructions, I was able to get rid of another toolbar at the top, thank you but at the bottom, under my open tabs and above the quick launch toolbar I have a toolbar that goes all the way across that just says "done" in the left corner. How do I get rid of it?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oh you can not get rid of that that is actually part of the browser window, the status bar, I have a lot of great info on mine actually, there are some firefox addons that will put info on the status bar, on mine I have the date and time which I LOVE, I have my McAfee site advisor indicator, I have my forecast fox which gives me weather info, I use foxmarks so my foxmarks indicator is there.
    You might try adding some of these so you make good use of that status bar.
    Status Bar Clock is the name of the add on for the clock,
    forecast fox is the weather info
    and they can be found on the addons page.
    you may be able to see them on my screenshot, not sure.
    Looking at the status bar is a good way to stop accidently going to a misdirecting site, if you hover your mouse over a link you will see the true address for that link show up down in the status bar, if it is does not match where you think you are going don't click it.

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Looking again I see them on your screenshot. I looked at both add ons but not sure I'd really care about them. I have a calendar on the wall next to my desk and a clock already in the systray and weather on my start page.

What are Foxmarks?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

foxmarks is very good if you have more than one pc and you want to keep all your bookmarks synced between them all you just put foxmarks on all of them and set it up in foxmarks to sync all of them, but what I particularly use it for is that every time you save something as a bookmark it also syncs with your online foxmarks account and puts it there also so no matter where you are or what pc you are using you have full access to all your bookmarks by just logging in to your foxmarks. Plus if you happen to have some drastic crash and lose your bookmarks they are always there on foxmarks to retrieve.
    So when I go home for the Holidays and use my sisters pc and need one of my bookmarks I just go to my foxmarks and voila there they are.

I did not think I would care about the date and day thing since it is already in the systray but I now depend on it s much it is just so much easier to see down there and I generally always have my firefox open.

• lynnalexandra
    15 years ago

Ravencajun - I'm not sure how putting my tag in the URL will work for me bc.t he way I am tagging is to tag potentially 3-20 items (bookmarks) for one person's gifts. So let's say I have found 14 items that I might want to get my mother-in-law (Mary). If I tag Mary, there are 14 items with that tag. So if I type Mary in the URl, I wouldn't think it would bring up 14 sites. I guess it depends on how you use tags. I'm using them to store groups of ideas for a single tag.

Another use I plan to try soon is to categorize recipes this way. So I might have a tag that gives me the recipe source (cooking forum, barefoot contessa, magazine etc.), and also by type (like appetizer, salad, vegetable, entree) and perhaps by specific ingredients. So when I go back to search, I'm not trying to bring up just one bookmark, but the entire group of bookmarks I've made for that category.

I have also wanted to get Foxmarks to sync my bookmarks across computers, but I read one review that made me hesitate. It suggested that Foxmarks could sell this information - for companies that want to follow market trends, etc. Do you have any concerns about that information being stored someplace other than your own computers?

Another question I have in terms of security with foxmarks is that it would be very handy to store information - passwords, address, phone, etc that I have to enter each time I fill out information on line. But again, I wasn't sure what was safe and what wasn't. Any guidelines as to what information you would safely store in foxmarks?

Thanks.
    Lynn.

• sue_va
    12 years ago

Gardenweb

gives you Gardenweb