SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poddie_gw

Help: Bad Shower/Tub Tile Job?

poddie
16 years ago

Hi, just found this site and it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for!

My wife and I are building our "forever" house, and it is nearly complete. We have each built townhomes before, but this new house is a big step up and we don't have a lot of experience with these things.

One of the issues we have had is with the shower. We purchased a $2500 upgrade to receive wall tile with a matching listello that looked really nice in the design center. This is actually quite similar to the way our current shower and bath look.

However, several things bother us about how it has turned out.

(1) The listello they installed is some type of trasparent material, not the material we selected that looks similar in color to the rest of the tile. They have already agreed to fix this and that they were incorrect.

(2) The placement of the soap dish seems quite odd to us... it is directly below the shower head. It was not in this position in the model. We would normally hand some type of shampoo shelf here...

(3) The placement of the tile sections in the corner also seems somewhat odd and not very well thought out. In our current shower they cut the tiles to give the illusion that it "wraps around" the corner... in the new one it seems more haphazzard, having two thin strips of tile in the corner of random widths.

(4) They used an odd milky colored sealant. The current shower uses a clear one that looks MUCH nicer. Obviously, this is the smallest concern...

Our "final" walkthrough is scheduled for this coming Tuesday the 21st. I don't plan on finalizing my acceptance of the house without seeing all the issues completed. So I guess my questions are:

(a) Is this job particularly sloppy or was the last job just really well done?

(b) Is there any way we can reasonably expect them to rip it out and redo? Or is this just something we need to live with (other than the listello, obviously)?

(c) When they remove the current listello, will they end up damaging the rest of the tile?

Here are a couple pictures. You can see the listello in the shot of the bathtub (removed my wife from the picture):

{{gwi:1468718}}

{{gwi:1468717}}

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH