SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goodcookin

bluestar vs 1952 chambers and wok burner

goodcookin
16 years ago

Hi there. I am a first time poster who recently found the forum and had been digging through it in preparation for a major kitchen renovation. I already picked a dishwasher, a Bosch, and was looking at range hoods for my new fire engine red, 1952 Chambers 90C (my dream range come true). For me, there is just nothing else as beautiful and I love the broiler on the top, the thermowell, the ability to let it run like a slow cooker, all the positive feedback on the range's cooking qualities, etc., etc.

Then by chance I saw some of the Bluestar postings. Sounds simple and sturdy like my Chambers I thought and that's as far as it went until it dawned on me while reading about the Bluestar's power - how am I going to stirfry with the Chamber's 9,000 btu burners? I mean I can, but I'll end up with a puddle of liquid around my meat.

So at this late stage of the game I wanted to ask this august body for their thoughts. I am thinking of installing a 30,000 btu Thermador or other wok burner alongside the Chambers and using a 60inch range hood. The well respected local appliance place said that would be fine.

My other new option is a 30 inch Bluestar with the 22K burners. For me the Bluestar takes the cake in performance among new ranges. And while I also personally see the Bluestar as more attractive than other new ranges, I don't feel that it holds a candle to my Chambers. But that's definitely just me. You either like the looks of old appliances or you don't.

The key factors in my decision are:

1. do stirfry cooking, roasts, grilling fish, and baking bread (cake and pastries only a couple of times a year so an electric oven is irrelevant).

2. am deadset on using my 1950s fridge as I use lots of fruits and vegetables and they are just so much fresher in it - no defrost. Plus I don't use ice in my drinks and have whole house filtered water. The fridge also looks great. I had thought about a Leibherr, but I just can't see replacing something that I really like and that has bullet proof reliability.

3. counter space is not a big issue

I have subsequently read huge amounts from Bluestar posters but not so much from Chambers owners - I have yet to install mine and it is way too heavy to haul in place just so I can hook it up and try it out. I had found one poster who had upgraded to modern pro equipment and regretted the loss of the Chamber's top of range grill. On other areas of the web you find chefs saying there really is still nothing better than an older Chambers. Anybody else with experience/knowledge of/thoughts on a straight out cooking comparison between a Chambers 90c plus a 30,000 btu wok burner and a 30" inch Bluestar? I know this is a probably an unusual question, but I am driving myself crazy reading and trying to piece together thoughts about two very different pieces of equipment. Thanks and apologies for the long post!

Comments (23)