SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Anyone have a Duravit Starck Bathtub? Opinions versus Kohler Arch

Stacey Collins
14 years ago

Even though it would be a major splurge, we're possibly considering the Starck drop-in rectangular bathtub. We like it's modern lines and the narrowness is also appealing (less water needed for a deep soak?) It would be installed in a tiled deck, with the front edge flush with the front tiled wall, for a clean European look.

The other option would probably be the Kohler Archer, 32"x 60" in a tiled deck. Price difference is about $450, which is significant to us and would require pinching pennies elsewhere.

Anyone have any opinions?

Starck tub:

{{gwi:1486838}}

Archer:

{{gwi:1486842}}

Comments (8)

• spacechallenged
    14 years ago

No I have a 5' Kohler Archer. Just looking at the photos you included, the Starck appears to have more of a reclined back than my Archer tub.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

spacechallenged, how do you like the Archer tub? Does it feel solid or hollow-ish? Does it have any non-skid texture on the bottom, and, if so, is it unpleasant to sit on while bathing?

(I really disliked the textured patterns in the cast iron Kohler Villager and A.S. Americast Princeton tubs I saw!)

• astridh
    14 years ago

Do you like to read in the tub? Others have posted that the Archer is very comfortable and that they liked the arm rests. I see the Starck has no armrests. Although it looks sleeker, it would be a deal-breaker for me.

• spacechallenged
    14 years ago

I love my tub. It feels very solid, but it was installed on a mortar base per the manufacturer's installation instructions. You can do a search for Kohler 5' archer and open the manufacturer's website link. They have a file you can download that has complete installation instructions and complete specs. It does have some sort of nonskid texture on the bottom of the tub. It is very comfortable to me. Mine is the whirlpool with the in-line heater. I don't have any regrets with my choice. Something I really like is the horizontal overflow. That allows for more water depth, yet the step over height is only 19 inches.

• spacechallenged
    14 years ago

I'll try to put a picture in that shows the back of my tub.
    [IMG]http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss167/spacechallenged/tubafterinstalled.jpg[/IMG]
    Excuse the mess around it. I took this before I tiled the tub surround.

• spacechallenged
    14 years ago

Sorry, I can't remember how to put the picture in.

• spacechallenged
    14 years ago

I think I know what I did wrong. Will see:)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1486836}}

• advertguy2
    14 years ago

Do either of the two choices have an INTEGRATED tile flange? If you're putting it in an alcove with a shower, I would not go without it. Nor would I use one of those field applied ones. The choices are limited with the integrated tile flange and no front apron and I can't remember if the archer had that. I didn't check duravit. I ended up with the kohler hourglass. Dimensions were good. Should be in use in another month or so. It also has the textured bottom which I wanted because it's my kids bathroom.