SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
callaloo_gw

Master Bath Makeover - Before and After

callaloo
16 years ago

My master bathroom makeover has finally been completed -- this morning, I took my first shower under that new rain-showerhead. Mmmmmm.

It's been a long time coming. The old bathroom was not, at first glance, inherently bad. But a large jacuzzi tub, that hadn't been used once in 11 years, took up a lot of valuable real estate. The double vanity had no drawers, so all of our stuff was jumbled in the two cupboards, and I kept my cosmetics in a tackle box just to have them semi-organized. And the old tile job was just execrable -- white grout that was impossible to keep clean (and about 5 years ago, I dyed and sealed it with a product that did not live up to its billing and started peeling off); tiles that were not set properly and allowed water to infiltrate into the wall; some tiles (like on the tub deck) that were set over voids, resulting in cracks; and lots of nooks and crannies for mold and mildew to take root.

Here are some BEFORE photos:

Finally, we tore it all down to the studs and subfloor. It's not a huge space, not quite 8x10, but we made the most of it. A large, walk-in shower with bench (no door), new porcelain tiles with a darker grout, and a luxurious vanity with more storage space than I can imagine using. It's mostly neutral except for some green accents which I can't resist, including the green (verde butterfly) countertop, a custom gecko tile in the shower, and one gecko drawer pull.

Here are some photos of After:

Thanks for all of your advice and inspiration!

Comments (28)