SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marshallv_gw

Check out my plan.....

marshallv
12 years ago

Hello all,

I am in the process of designing a floorplan with a builder (who is also an architect). He's a local guy, been around 35 years and builds about 10 houses per year. Some are 5000+ sf super customs, some are 2,500sf semi customs like I'm going to build.

We are a family of 4 with 2 kids - a boy 10 and a girl 9. We've been living comfortably (at least to me, wife would argue) in about 1,500sf for 12 years. Our neighborhood is starting to deteriorate plus extra space would be nice so here we are. Our main requirements were 1) separate baths for kids 2) large pantry 3) separate master closets 4) open to semi open floor plan 5) 4th BR that could double as BR or Study, 6) nice patio in back and decent front porch, and 7) 3 car garage with room to breat and 8) ONLY one dining area. Most plans similar to ours have a dining and a breakfast area. We decided to go with a countertop height bar for part of the kitchen and eliminate the breakfast area. We will eat most of our family meals in the dining area with kids eating breakfast and lunches when home at the "low" bar.

House will be all brick as is pretty normal in the neighborhood. We are pretty happy with the following plan. The only thing i see as a potential area of improvement (acknowledging that im'm losing some cabinets, etc.) is to eliminate the double oven "spot" and open this up as a walk through to the kitchen. As it stands, any spot in the house except for the dining room has to enter the kitchen around the breakfast bar which seems tucked way back . My wife likes this plan as is, but i still struggle with this area. We aren't going to put in a double oven anyway, regardless.

Tell me what you think...and thank you GREATLY....

Comments (12)