SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

How are newel posts usually secured?

2ajsmama
14 years ago

I've been going crazy trying to figure out what to do with these stairs since the builder didn't put in the bullnose and volute that we had discussed (but wasn't in writing). The straight stairs are very close to the front wall (36" from tread nose to wall) so I don't really want a newel in front of the first riser. I figured since a newel with a volute goes on the first tread, so could any type. Building inspectoer said OK to finishing the floor and moving furniture in b4 we put balustrade up - well, b/c of problems with the floor that took a year. Then I started looking for a carpenter to put in balustrade, 1st wanted permission in writing from inspector to put it on the tread, 2nd came out and said yes could do but never got back with quote, 3rd doesn't want to do it (but will do half newels on wall 4 steps up) even though we offered to rip out sheetrock from basement stairwell ceiling and have him put blocking in to attach newel to.

So how are newels normally secured to the floor, and does code allow them to be secured to tread any more? I didn't think this was an exception. How would it be secured to 1st tread/2nd riser so it doesn't loosen?

Here is my thread about newels and half newels on decorating, I didn't want to have to post all the pics again.

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Newel post on open treads thread Home Decor

Comments (7)