SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Gaggenau Combi-Steam Hardboiled Eggs (attn: attofarad)

plllog
12 years ago

So I was sitting in the kitchen, sort of watching TV and leisurely going through the mail, when flash! out of nowhere came the thought that I could steam some eggs in the combi-steam. I happen to have a lot of eggs right now, but I hadn't been planning to boil some. I just remembered that Attofarad had asked about it and I still hadn't tried it.

The instructions in the manual didn't seem right, so I looked at the clue wheel. That seemed better, so I went with it. The winning method was 210 degrees (no preheat), 100% steam, 20 minutes, 2nd shelf, solid pan (in which condensation remains--the manual had said perforated, which I would guess would be better, but I figured if the rest of these instructions were better maybe there was a good reason for the solid pan). I did poke holes in the wide ends of the eggs because I always do.

The eggs are size large, free range, brown eggs with thin shells. I doubt the kind of egg makes a big difference, but I thought to mention it to be complete.

After I ran the cooked eggs under cool water, I peeled and sliced one (excellent egg and spinach sandwich). It came out perfectly. The white was solid all the way through, but still jiggly, not that rubbery, solid thing that happens when they're overcooked. The yolk was tender and fluffy with no ring.

As easy to do as using the automatic egg steamer. Maybe even easier since one can do more than 7 at a time. The instructions are for 6-12. I did 6, cold from the fridge. I don't know how much time to add for a gross.

The hardest part is carrying the pan with the eggs rolling around. (I.e., this is dead easy.)

Comments (13)