SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parkplaza_gw

Sequence of Bathroom Tiling Steps

parkplaza
13 years ago

Bit confused and have several tilers say conflicting things. I gutted my small ranch home main bath to the studs. I installed the tub, poly barrier and durock on the walls. On the area above the tub I installed Hardi board being I want tiles above the tub for easy cleaning. Now I need to do the rest and am using 2 contractors (tile installer and a sheetrocker to do the rest of the bathroom). I also purchased an electric tile heating mat. The floor was originally 1/2" and I added 5/8" plywood to that.

Wanted an opinion on the sequence to install the vanity and confirmation the floor process is sound.

VANITY:

The vanity will be put into a 5'-1" foot alcove (wall on each end). The vanities are all 5 foot...so one contractor said I may need to pull out (notch) some the sheetrock on the walls so it can fit in...it may be a tight fit. One contractor said to install the vanity first than sheetrock around it..if there is room on the back and sides he would drop the sheetrock back down behind the vanity on its 3 sides inside the alcove. Another contractor said he would install the tile on the floor first than put the vanity on top of the tile floor verus tiling to it.

FLOOR:

Prime the floor with SLC primer and install the heating mat. Pour SLC on top of the floor (primed plywood). Then install the floor tile

Comment (1)