SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Apache/php.exe?

jane__ny
11 years ago

Helping a friend clean up her Vista computer and found her machine was lacking many updates. I installed Secunia, the scan showed many items to update which I did. There were a few I am not sure how to handle. It showed VLC Media Player needed updating. I could not find that in programs or add/remove. Googling shows it is Windows Media Player? Why can't I find it?

It shows php.exe ver 5.2.4 and Apache 2.2.4, as insecure - should be updated to 5.3. I have no idea what this is. When I go to the vendor site, it talks about binary files, which is Greek to me. I'm afraid to click on the list of updates they list as nothing matches what Secunia is saying.

Can someone help me with this is, and if I should update whatever this is?

Thanks as always,

Jane

Comments (12)

• bob414
    11 years ago

It's a replacement for Windows Media Player that plays many files that Windows Media Player will not play. Is Revo Uninstaller or CCleaner on the computer? Either of those should show it in the list of programs they will uninstall. I have no idea why it's not listed in the start menu. Does Secunia not list a link for updating the program? Those work for me.

• mikie_gw
    11 years ago

says something like
    Video Lan Player = VLC

• owbist
    11 years ago

From the Apache web site:-

What is the Apache HTTP Server Project?

The Apache HTTP Server Project is a collaborative software development effort aimed at creating a robust, commercial-grade, featureful, and freely-available source code implementation of an HTTP (Web) server. The project is jointly managed by a group of volunteers located around the world, using the Internet and the Web to communicate, plan, and develop the server and its related documentation. This project is part of the Apache Software Foundation. In addition, hundreds of users have contributed ideas, code, and documentation to the project. This file is intended to briefly describe the history of the Apache HTTP Server and recognize the many contributors.

End quote.

php is a web page making coding akin to html and css.

If your friend has no knowledge of this then perhaps she/he bought the computer second hand and the original owner was into creating web pages.

• mikie_gw
    11 years ago

You probably don't want to update Apache without some familiarity with it.

• susanjn
    11 years ago

If your friend knows how to use Apache and PHP she doesn't need help cleaning up her machine.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, has no clue about setting up web pages. Neither do I. So should I delete all the instances of it? When I click on the folder on Secunia, it brings up Explorer with individual files which I assume is Appache and PHP, nothing is just labeled 'Apache.' Do I delete all the files?

I'm won't be at my friends house until later this week. I'll look again for the video player. I didn't see it listed anywhere. When I clicked on the Secunia link, it brought me to the website of the player.

Thanks for the info,
    Jane

• shaxhome (Frog Rock, Australia 9b)
    11 years ago

FWIW, my VLC Media Player is listed under Programs as VideoLAN.

And as said above, it should also be listed in Revo...mine is, as VLC Media Player. Do you and your friend have Revo installed on your computers? Strongly recommend that you do. It's free, simple, painless and very useful!
    Make sure you choose the one in the right hand column that says FREE (unless you want to pay for the "PRO" version)

Regards,
    Shax

Here is a link that might be useful: Revo Uninstaller

11 years ago

Meant to add, when you install Revo and open it, it should list Apache and PHP as well. So you can uninstall them from there, too.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you. I'll install it and see if they show up. So, do I remove the Media Player? Doesn't she need one?

Jane

11 years ago

I find VLC Media Player very useful, as it plays many formats that the standard Windows player won't.

If you're having trouble updating it, yes, uninstall it from Revo and then reinstall the latest version from its official home site...

Here is a link that might be useful: VLC Download

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    11 years ago

If you're uninstalling Apache and PHP you might want to check for MySQL too. They're usually installed as a threesome.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/windows-installer-uninstalling.html

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the info. I haven't been over to her house, maybe this weekend. I'll follow all the suggestions. Strange she has this Media Player. Maybe it came with Vista or some other download. She had so many toolbars, it was crazy.

Jane