SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debo_2006

I have to do a system recover :-(

debo_2006
12 years ago

My computer has been crashing for a while now whereas it does some kind of dump where a black screen comes up, then text (physical dump stuff I beleive), then restarts itself fine until it spontaneously happens again the same day or a different day or several days later. The computer also has been freezing sometimes and the only way to get it back is to turn it off, wait, then back on.

Today I called Gateway and was told to run a system recovery using the Operating System Disk that came w/ the computer. Okay, I'm scared.

She said to back up all data, do the recovery, then install all my programs again, then move the files back on to computer. Sounds easy, right? I'm still scared.

I use this computer for my full-time job which is my business so I can't afford for anything to go wrong. What if it doesn't work? Is there anything I need to know before I begin this process tomorrow. Did I say I'm scared? I know, I'm a baby!!

Oh, she also said not to have more than one virus protector on the computer at a time. She said when more, they can cancel each other out. I current have Nortons (which I like & pay for) and free SuperAntiSpyware, along with CCleaner & SpyBot. Is she right to say that about the multiple Virus programs? I thought it was okay to have more than one.

Thanks for any input and help in putting me at ease during this crap.

Specs:

Gateway w/ Vista Home Premium

HD: 320GB

Mem: 3072 MB

Comments (10)