SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njbuilding143

For those that hired builders.. What kind of price differences...

njbuilding143
9 years ago

We are getting the initial bids/proposals back slowly and I wanted to get some input from those who hired builders/general contractors.. How much of a price difference did you see between builders? We have gotten back two estimates so far and they seem very far off..

Plans given were for a 2800 square foot, two story home with full unfinished 1400sq foot basement.. Proposals included Hardie siding and poured concrete foundation (both builders said I could change these for huge savings but priced with them).. Builder 1 came back with 450k which did not include plumbing fixtures or appliances, but did include some items we wanted like crown molding on 1st floor and running duct work in basement for future HVAC hookup.. Builder 2 has come back with 370k and includes plumbing fixtures and appliances.. Builder 1 is located in a more wealthy area, while builder 2 is located in a more middle class area.. Could the price difference simply be due to their locations and normal clients? I just feel like an 80k difference is a bit much for simple location.. I have to pick up the actual written proposal from builder 2 to do a side by side comparison but just wanted to see what others experienced..

Comments (20)