SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grandms

May need some help for a friend

grandms
14 years ago

A friend who uses Vista Home called this morning and said that a screen popped up indicating that it was "Microsoft Security" and asked for her user name and password. This sent up a red flag to me, and I asked what she did. She put in her name and, because she did not know what password it was referring to, just picked one at random that she has used. Now she said Windows keeps closing, and there was some problem with her e-mail (Windows mail), too. I told her I would come over, intending to run scans with Malwarebytes and Superantispyware, but now we're having bad thunderstorms, so I may not get to her house today. I thought I would take this time to get any ideas from any of you as to what this may be. Would it be prudent, after the scans are run, to try a system restore, or would it depend on what the scans find and remove? She doesn't have another computer to use to post from, so I'll try to do what I can as a go-between with any advice any of you can offer. I know, very little information to go on here, as I do not know what she was doing when this happened, or what else she may have tried. I know that she uses McAffee Security Suite, so, other than Spyware Blaster, I haven't put any other anti-spyware programs on her computer.

Thanks for any ideas offered here.

Comments (15)