SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onmiown3

Tub Dilemma : to replace or to reglaze?

onmiown3
14 years ago

HI All,

I am at an impasse on weather to keep my 1970s dusky blue cast iron tub and re-glaze it, or just replace it.

We are doing a complete bathroom remodel with the room being ripped down to the studs. The tub is in an alcove and greenboard was used to construct the alcove and then tiled over. We know we have water damage in the floor and wall areas of the alcove and thus a compete tear out is necessary.

My issue is the room is only 5 ft by 8 ft, with no room to expand. The current tub is 30 inches wide and I'm having a hard time finding a tub that is 30 inches across, as most are 32". The current toilet is exactly 15 inches on center from the edge of the tub. I am not moving plumbing, so the toilet is being replaced, but in the same configuration.

Do I have room for a 32" wide tub or should I just refinish the current one? The contractor says they can pull the current one, fix the floorboards and walls, then put it back in.

We are more "shower people" than bath people, but I do enjoy an few soaks in a year. Also, the 32" tubs are about 2-4 inches deeper to the overflow than or current tub, so a little more water might be nice...

What would you do?

Thanks

K.

Comments (6)