SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
polaris1492

Help me design a tiny MB refurb

9 years ago

Almost ten years ago, gardenweb helped me remodel my kitchen, and I still love it to pieces. So I'm finally getting around to remodeling our dreadful master bath, and I'm back for more help.

The MB is tiny, 4'10" square, with a (leaky) shower bumped out of the side. It's got a builder grade vanity that my husband hacked off to make room for a shelf. And stick-down vinyl tiles for the floor.

Here's the current layout:

Here's what I think might work better:

At a minimum, we need to fix the shower, which leaks onto the kitchen stove at least once a year. The last time we had a plumber out to look at it, he said that because of [something about support joists under the shower drain] it would cost [$x thousand] to reroute it, and we'd need to have a custom tiled shower instead of an insert to keep it from leaking in the future.

I'd like to do this without going crazy on the budget, and I'd like a light, timeless look when it's done. My husband has a wishlist of more upscale options, but I haven't really researched them yet.

In order of importance to me:

- non-leaky shower. (I know! I'm easy to please. ;-) ) I'd actually be ok with a plain shower insert rather than custom tile, if it could be made to fit. I kind of like how easy the shower is to clean right now.
- actual tile on the floor (preferably light colored, but not necessarily white-- I like my kitchen floor, which is white + gray pattern, because it's easier to keep clean)
- better storage
- better lighting
- a heater

My husband's wishlist:
- add a window and a solar tube
- add a steam shower
- add under-floor heating

Aesthetics: Our adjoining bedroom is sort of a Zen-mission look, with dark wood furniture, white linens and pale, pale lavender paint (Benjamin Moore Whisper Violet). I want either white or white+gray patterned tiles on the floor. The pixelated look of porcelain "marble" tiles isn't my favorite-- I'd love to have a natural stone with a little color variation if I could figure out a way to do it and not be insanely expensive and hard to maintain.

Something like:

I think if we don't go with natural stone, I'd probably rather go with plain white ceramic tiles, or maybe a white and pale gray pattern instead of a faux stone porcelain. I'm interested in some of the reveals I've seen here with white-on-white patterned tile, and I'd love some suggestions that might work with that.

If I put the vanity as it's sketched in the second drawing, it should probably be less than 32 inches wide. Something simple in a dark wood is probably the best option:

or

(If you think buying a lower cost vanity is an economy we'd later regret, I'd love to hear alternate suggestions.)

We haven't settled on a budget yet, so I know it's harder to give advice. When we redid our kitchen, my favorite part about it was combining "value" pieces with a few splurges, so, say, IKEA cabinets with granite counters and nice light fixtures. I'd like to do the same with the bathroom. If you have any suggestions for specific products (say, favorite tiles or vanities) or general advice on how to get organized to attack this project, I'd love to hear them.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations