SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swampwiz_gw

How to handle window & door rough openings

swampwiz
14 years ago

I am wondering how to handle rough openings for windows. The manufacturer has a frame size, which is the actual size of the window, and a rough opening size, which is 1/2" larger in each dimension. As I understand it, there is to be a 1/4" nailing strip installed on each side, for a total of 1/2" for each dimension, which is why the rough dimension is quoted as 1/2" larger.

The question is how would a framer approach this required rough dimension. Would he get it exact, or add in a fudge factor to add to the rough dimension? Or would he just take the nominal size, and add some fudge factor there (which would presumably take care of the difference between the nominal and the frame size, but could be wrong)?

The real question is how should I direct the framer to do the opening. I figure that I should specify the rough dimension as being X x Y, and let him make sure that there is exactly that distance (or perhaps an extra 1/16", etc.)

Should I somehow allow for a little more because of inaccuracy of the manufacturer? I figure that a larger dimension can always be shimmed to a smaller one, but NOT vice-versa.

How should I proceed here?

The same situation is for doors. But concerning the doors, there is the problem of how to handle the floor. One thing that I don't understand is how exactly the door rough height is quoted - is it from the finished floor, or the slab? As I would be telling the framers to set the upper rough height to a distance above the slab, I would need to account for the floor height. Or perhaps door rough openings already presume a standard 5/8" (or whatever) floor height?

Any comments on this topic wold be appreciated.

Comments (13)