SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bakaroni

Advice on how much to renovate

bakaroni
12 years ago

Like most people, as I've considered remodeling the master bath, I find myself staring at scope creep. It's very hard to decide where to stop, or what's good enough. So I'd like some advice/tips from those of you who are more experienced in this than I am.

So, here's some background. Single family home built around 1987. Highlights of the master bath:

- original oak cabinetry in the 80s style with cathedral doors. structurally they look just fine, but I don't like the dated look.

- beige/light yellow cultured/faux marble countertop with 2 sinks (original): structurally sound, but looks dated.

- 2 medicine cabinets with oak trims (original); very dated, and narrow.

- ceiling has a covered recess with tube-lights. also has oak trims (original): don't like this at all

- bath tub and backsplash in the same faux marble. (original): structurally sound, but appears dated

- ceramic tiles on the floor put in about 5 years ago: okay, but not terribly impressive

- brass faucets and cabinet hardware (original): getting old, and some not working

- a large mirror (with no trims) over the countertop

- your regular Home Depot toilet that was put in about 8 years ago: this is fine.

The original idea was to do the following:

- paint the cabinets in an espresso color. I've chosen Benjamin Moore's bittersweet chocolate color, but the paint is actually Behr Ultra. Anybody think using Behr is a lousy idea (it's a lot cheaper than BM)?

- replace the medicine cabinets with something more modern and bigger

- get rid of the tube-lights and oak trims in the ceiling recess; re-texture the recess and replace the lighting with something more contemporary

- replace all the faucets with newer chrome ones. I realize there are a lot of faucet styles out there and I need to pick the style I like, but I have a question about makes, which I'll ask in a separate thread.

- redo the caulking in the bath-tub since it's become colored and dirty over time.

- replace the one big mirror with 2 individual mirrors, preferably with storage since we now have stuff lying all over the counter. What are some good places to shop online for mirrors, or in person in the San Francisco Bay area?

This sounds simple enough. However, the scope creep happens since I'm wondering if I should take the plunge and replace the counter top and sinks as well with a more lighter/whiter color stone to provide good contrast with the cabinets. But if I did that, I'd have to replace the bath-tub (in white) as well as the backsplash (potentially with glass). This would cause me to replace the flooring as well since replacing the tub would result in the floor being not entirely covered and I don't have any more of the original tiles to fill in. Now, if we did all of that, wouldn't it make sense to replace the cabinet as well since they are getting there in age?

As you can see, this then becomes a full-fledged demolish-and-rebuild operation. Money is a secondary consideration. The primary being, I hate to throw things away just because I'm tired of how they look. So the fundamental question here is: what's the typical lifetime of the big ticket bathroom stuff like cabinetry and tub? If I have to replace them within the next 5-10 years, I could consider replacing them now. But if these things will last for another 15-20 years, I'd hate to add to the already full landfills. Another way of asking the question is: is 24 years too young for a bathroom to be completely replaced?

Comments (7)