SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Which stone for vanity counter, soapstone or granite? Teen girl!

Stacey Collins
13 years ago

We're re-doing our 2nd bath, which has the unfortunate task of serving as both the main bathroom for family and guest, as well as the teenage daughter's bath. We want it to look great, but the materials also have to stand up to a teenager girl with the typical lotions, potions, nail polish, etc.

The vanity is an antique dresser we're modifying. Overall bathroom style is slightly vintage/slightly modern. If the choice was based solely on aesthetics and not upkeep, we'd choose a white or grey marble, but I have carerra kitchen counters and I know that we can't use it in this bathroom for etching/staining reasons!

So: we're going to looks at granite remnants this weekend. Probably a medium-light granite. Probably polished, since I suspect the remnants are mostly polished and it costs extra to get it honed....

Then I thought of soapstone. Maybe even DIY (we're handy.)

What do you think of soapstone in this situation? How indestructible will it be, how hard to keep looking good, compared to granite?

How hard is it, really, to drill, cut, and shape DIY? (it's only 36" long so not a huge piece to work with...)

Thank you!

Comments (13)