SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
omegatcb

Adding pony wall to existing shower curb

OmegaTCB
12 years ago

I am almost through a pretty straightforward bathroom remodel and am now regretting one design decision. Contractor has already created a standard mortar and membrane shower pan ~ 3 inch curb. Original plan is to install 3/8 inch glass around this pan.

I am now realizing that instead of using the largish vanity that will tuck up adjacent to one of the curbs, I'd like to install a "floating" countertop. In order to do this, I would need to alter the shower pan, turning one of the curbs into a pony wall so the floating counter top could tie into it for support. My contractor is very reluctant to go down this path, and states that reworking any of the existing curb will likely damage the membrane and compromise the integrity of the pan. I am sure he is correct.

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for how you could add a pony will on top of an existing curb without undue expense and without creating a big risk of water penetration.

Not the end of the world to go with existing vanity. I just wanted to confirm that it is not really feasible to change direction now.

Will post a picture soon.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz